login

Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 885 times)

Faaip De Oiad

9/11
« on: September 09, 2011, 02:01:06 AM »
I have been bombarded with constant reminders that the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is just around the corner, it's plastered all over the media; talk shows, news papers, local news stations, the radio, the internet, etc.

I am always reminded of it whenever I see 9:11 on my clock radio.

My questions are...
Where were you when the attacks happened?
How did it make you feel?

This is a very memorable moment in my life, probably the most memorable moment from my childhood.
I was in my grade 5 classroom, it was about 20 minutes into math period that there was a sudden and unexpected knock at the door.
Mr. Adler, my teacher at the time, answered the door to another one of the teachers who calmy asked him to please step outside, you could hear the uneasiness in her voice.

Without a sound Mr. Adler promptly stepped out into the school hall, closing the door behind him.
He was gone for no longer than 5 minutes, it felt like an eternity, everyone in the room remained silent, we knew something was wrong.

When Mr. Adler returned to the room, there was a very lifeless look on his face, his voice was very serious but it was just a front for the fear he was trying to hide.
He explained to us that there's a certain kind of evil in this world and that they would take any messure possible to see people suffer.
Everyone was very serious at this time.

He disappeared back into the hallway and returned with a big old 32" tube tv that was on a cart.
He flipped the channel to CNN and exposed some 20 odd 10 year old kids to the carnage of what had happened that day.

I remember that his eyes began to water as we watched the images on tv, much like mine are right now as I type this.

At that moment I was ultimately confused as to why something like that had happened.
We watched it for the remainder of the period, some words were spoken for the fallen and their families and then the tv was rolled back into the AV room just as quickly as it was rolled into the classroom.
We all went about the rest of that day just feeling confused.

That's my account of what happened that day, it's pretty average and most people would probably tell you a similar story.
Nevertheless it has greatly made an impact on my life and it will always remain as something that is unforgettable.

It is just as chilling today as it was 10 years ago and I only experienced it from a 3rd person point of view.
My heart goes out to the people who were in the middle of it.
...and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

NihilNovi

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 1060 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To NihilNovi
  • A/S/L : 23/M/USA
  • I am : Social Misfit Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • Status Update: "Get rid of the judgement, get rid of the 'I am hurt', and you are rid of the hurt itself."
Re: 9/11
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:13:41 AM »
Sitting in class, math I believe it was, in 6th grade. I went to another room to because I was getting some tutoring during regular math class. Some teacher came in and said something like "turn on CNN" and they showed that one of the towers had been hit. I think some time later the principal came on the air and said "don't turn on your TVs". I believe that was when the second tower was hit. My Mom came to pick me up that day.
I wasn't greatly disturbed by it to be honest. Basically, a bunch of people I've never met in a part of the country I'd never been to were killed. I remember thinking later that day "I hope they kill whoever did this". But, I don't remember being really upset about it.

A year or two later one one of the anniversaries I was riding in the car to a demolition derby with my Dad and I teared up a little when they played the Star Spangled Banner on the radio, but that's the only time I recall getting emotional about it.

Now-a-days whenever it gets close to the anniversary I sort of groan to myself and think "oh jeez, it's September again, the month where I'll be constantly re-re-reminded of every intricate detail of an event I already lived through". Not sure how to really type this out. But it's kinda like "yeah, airplanes flew into some towers, the Pentagon, and a field in the middle of nowhere, tons of people died horrible deaths, yeah, I got it 10 years ago when it happened and I get it now. Can we please as a nation sorta move on and quit rehashing something that's been hashed to death already? There's not really anything new to add to the discussion. We've been having the same discussion for a decade now, I get it".

If anything, I think all the media attention it gets every year (despite it not being actual news) has cheapened the event. It seems more like the media just talks about it because they're expected to talk about it. It's like it's this big play they put on every year and we're all expected to attend. Even though by this point most of us have not only the entire plot, but just about every line burned into our memory verbatim.

I dunno, that's my rant

Voxtrot

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 33390 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Voxtrot
  • A/S/L : 27/F
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: INFJ (The Protector)
  • My loner philosophy : Do something useful with your life, yes please thank you.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:39:33 AM »
Obviously it didn't affect me that much at the time, being 15 years old and living on the other side of the world.  I was too preoccupied with my own life to understand it.

Then in university I did some International Relations papers and had to study 9/11 indepth.  We watched tons and tons of video footage, we went over all the details, motives, etc for about 6 weeks.  It actually really affected me, watching those videos in dark lecture halls in the middle of the day.  It was very unnerving and I think everybody in that class was upset by it.  Now I would say I have a huge respect for what happened, all of the victims and the horrible way they died, especially.  The people jumping out of the windows is what I remember the most.

But also what we learned - that in a historical sense, 9/11 changed the world forever.  That it shifted world politics very significantly, and created a new era of conflict, which I think we're still dealing with now.  But I find it strange that your teacher let you watch it, Faaip.  Your class was pretty young.
“Many homicidal lunatics are very quiet, unassuming people. Delightful fellows.”  Agatha Christie

Faaip De Oiad

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »
yeah eh we were only 10 or 11 years old at the time, it was like a culture shock.

What I mean by culture shock is, being Canadians prior to those events, we were never educated about anything like war or terrorism, history like that wasn't learned in school.

this will sound naive but most of what I know about wars was actually learned from WW2 video games.

Anyway, I guess he thought that his class was mature enough to view those images.
I vicariously watched as two planes crashed into two towers and now I have this memory of such a horrible thing embedded in my mind for life... but it's not like I want to forget it either :huh:
...and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

Dawninator

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dawninator
  • A/S/L : 25/F/Pa
  • I am : Metalhead Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • Status Update: Swinging on the spiral to Jambi.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »
I was in school, grade 10. I distinctly remember thinking about how I had never heard the word terrorism before. I still feel the same about it as I did then. It obviously was a horrible and sad thing but I just didn't want to hear about it. And you didn't just hear about it, it was shoved down your throat. I've looked into things about it and listened to horrifying recordings but I just would rather leave it alone. I feel bad for the families affceted that every single year they have to be reminded even more than usual of what happened. It's been ten years now, I think it's time we let it rest.

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
  • I return from the Void.
  • A/S/L : 26, Male, Tasmania
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : I will carry the Banner till I can no more.
  • Status Update: Hold your head up high.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »
I was 8 and really didn't understand the world but when the third anniversary rolled around I took an interest in it.

EDIT: Anyone sure this isn't a conspiracy?
Sailing through the Sea of Stars.

LiB

• LC Addict
  • 100100 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To LiB
  • A/S/L : 26/m
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: ISFJ (The Nurturer)
  • My loner philosophy : Live life let live.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 02:40:02 AM »
Time flies..been 10 years since 9/11?
I was just like Skyrunner at that time, didn't affect me that much because America was just like another world from mine at those moments. Started to rediscover all these dark episodes of history since Tsunami 2004.

Seraphic Sweetie

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 02:44:08 AM »
I was in school.

I was told about it, but I didn't know how really important it was or expressed much emotion until I saw the video of people dieing & crying.

Hylton

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 781 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Hylton
  • A/S/L : english
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
I were in a college english class. The teacher had said to the few of us that had just sat down in the class that a plane had flown into a building in America. No big announcment, no tv rolled in to get some BBC news coverage, he just mentioned it like, making conversation. Then we read some Henry V. Battle of Agincort stirred up more emotions, to be honest

Can't say it affected me massively, like a lot of you here already put, it was something happening to strangers in another part of the globe. Like a train de-railing, or a Godzilla attack. There was so much hysterical news coverage, I just tried to ignore it a little

horrible thing to happen though. But you got to move on, you know? Had all them bombs up London way a little while back, there were some mourning, now it's just another tragedy for the history books

Firo

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:07 AM »
I was in my highschool Health class. I remember lots of the details and I remember there being an announcement and some of the teachers went out of the hallway to talk to each other.

To be honest I was shocked, angry and saddened by what happened. I remember my health teacher walking in with a lifeless and distraught face and there was this uneasy atmosphere. He told us about it and than we just watched the aftermath on TV and it hard to watch. I couldn't believe something like this could happen, that someone could hijack the planes and crash them into the buildings. We got let out of school early and the rest of the week was melancholy.

Katrina

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 06:17:48 AM »
I was in grade 8 and everyone got pulled out of class and there was this random assembly held in this huge study hall we had. Then this co-ordinator of student life lady spoke to us about what had happened. I was a pretty self absorbed 13 year old...so to be honest I didn't care all that much when I first heard about it.  We were sent home early I think.

Well anyways once I went home my parents were glued to CNN and we watched it day and night for many days. The speculations on who was behind it were interesting to watch but overall I wasn't very fond of watching people jump out of burning buildings and sobbing on the streets, it was stressful.

I agree with NihilNovi about the media having cheapened the event. I think we should always remember those who lost their lives that day but honestly re-showing those crashes and clips of the chaos from that day has really gotten old. Plus I imagine it to be quite terrible for those who lost loved ones that day...I mean Im sure they don't want to watch those planes crashing again and again thinking omg my husband/son/mother/father/freind/etc. was in that! ouch.