Author Topic: Favorite quotes?  (Read 8216 times)

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Mystic Cow
  • A/S/L : 25,M, USA
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • My loner philosophy : Look alive
Favorite quotes?
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
Quotes are powerful messages. You can tell a lot from a person from what their quotes are, and, in addition, they are often incredible words of wisdom. I'd like to share mine {favorite quotes} and perhaps hear some new ones.

"Too bad fires can't be put out with dampened spirits." -Chelinka from Final Fantasy: Ring of Fates (DS)

No matter how many times I hear this, it never fails to help me past depression and anxiety.

"Those who will want to sing will find a song." -Swedish Proverb

As a musician, I empathize with this quote fairly easily. However, I believe that this quote sufficiently describes my search for happiness. I am an optimistic person despite my objectiveness, and it's just the way I feel about happiness. If you don't think it's going to happen, then it never will.

NowImHere

Re: Favorite quotes?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »
''I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.''
Kurt Cobain
One of my favorite quotes.

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
  • I return from the Void.
  • A/S/L : 26, Male, Tasmania
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : I will carry the Banner till I can no more.
  • Status Update: Hold your head up high.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:23:37 AM »
Thansk for posting this. I have a couple.

Moral indignation is Jealousy with a halo. - H.G. Wells.

If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George.S. Patton.

From my rotting body,
flowers shall grow and I
amin them and that is
eternity. - Edward Munch.

Death is a debt we all must pay. - Euripides.

Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names - proverb.

A prudent question is one-half wisdom. - Francis Bacon.

In solitude, where we are least alone. - Lord Byron.

I owe my solitude to other people. - Alan Watts.

The good and the wise lead quiet lives. - Euripides.

A great reader seldom recognizes his solitude. - Mason Cooley

A poet is a nightingale, who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds. - Percy Bysshe Shelley.

Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude. - Authur Schopenhauer.

I didn't choose solitude. - Klaus Kinski.

Friendly fire, isn't. - Unknown.

The true poem is the poets mind. - Ralph Waldo Emerson. My Hero basically.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

If I die, I forgive you. If I live, we shall see. - Spanish Proverb.

If someone takes your time, it's the only debt that can't be repaid. - Unknown.

Stung by the splendor of a sudden thought. - Robert Browning.

Mother-in-law: A woman who destroys her son-in-laws peace of mind by giving him a piece of her own. - Unknown.

Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter. - Unknown.

Revenge is an act of Passion
Vengeance is an act of Justice. - Samuel Johnsen.

Tears are the silent language of grief. - Voltaire.

Such power ther is in cleared-eyed self-restraint. - James Russell Lowell.

My fave:
When I die, I want to die in my sleep, like my grandfather; not screaming and yelling, like the passengers in his car. - Will Shriner.

Got more if you want.
Sailing through the Sea of Stars.

NowImHere

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:07:47 AM »
Wow, thats loads man! ;)

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »
More is good :).

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. " -George Orwell

"I am a poor hater." -James Garfield

"Smart is believing only half of what you hear, brilliant is knowing which half to believe. " -Benjamin Franklin

"You who murdered a hundred thousand Iraqis to save a nickel on a gallon of gas are going to lecture me on the rules of war? Well DON'T." -Egor Korshunov from "Air Force One"

"You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain." from "The Dark Knight".

"You mustn't allow yourself to be chained to fate, to be ruled by your genes. Human beings can choose the kind of life that they want to live. What's important is that you choose life... and then live. " -Naomi Hunter

"The day I'm one step behind is the day I don't come home." -Sam Fisher

"I don't pick fights I can't win." -Ephraim from "Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones.

NowImHere

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Benjamin frankilin, that's cool /yup

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »
Thumbs up at fire emblem reference. I miss Lyn... :(

NowImHere

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »
The dark knight, nice ;)

Seth

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:15:55 AM »
I have three quotes that I really like.  The first two keep me more or less out of trouble at work and the last one helps to keep me motivated and balanced.

1) The less I say the better my day.
2) The more I say the greater I pay.
3) If I am not for myself, who will be for me; If I am only for myself, what am I; and if not now, then when?

Seth the Soloist.

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 08:33:36 AM »
Where are those from Seth? They're beautiful.

More

How bout a tasty lead sandwich with a side of Sarge! (shoots Grif in the head) Hold the life. And the mayo.

Calling Dr. Sarge M.D. Diagnosis: death. Prescription: SHOTGUN!

(Shoots Tucker in the head) Dr. Sarge says take two barrels of this shotgun and call me when your dead! Ring, ring. Hello? Is it you? Yup, your dead.

That's exactly it, private. The war's over. We won. Turns out you're the BIG hero. We're gonna hold a parade in your honor. I get to drive the float. And Simmons here IS IN CHARGE OF CONFETTI!

The Blues never sleep! They're too busy plotting to destroy our way of life. That's how you can always spot a Blue, Donut. They're always conniving and scheming. Sometimes they do both! I call that...Schenniving!

Bluetard.

Simmons, I want you to poison Grif's next meal.

Grif doesn't know what he's talking about? Stop the smurfing presses.

Will you put that in a memo entitled "Shit I already know"?

I LOVE BLOOD AND VIOLENCE! I'VE GOT A BONER FOR MURDER!

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE... No it's gotta be today... For our ancestors! [Rushes into battle]

Son, did you just shoot yourself in the foot?

[Regarding the Warthog gatling gun] I think I could've taken him.

Sorrowful sounds! Pleas for forgiveness!

Great sodium chloride! There goes my chemistry set!

These are from Red vs Blue and since we're quoting
His most famous: You just got Sarge'D!

Seth

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »
Where are those from Seth? They're beautiful.

Thanks Skyrunner!  The first two are original to me.  The last one comes from a volume of Jewish philosophy called Pirkei Avot (did I mention that I also speak Hebrew and that at one time my home was in the neighborhood of Nachlaot in West Jerusalem... that may strike terror into the hearts of many, grin!).

Seth the Soloist, is complicated.

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:48:10 AM »
You lived in Jerusalem? Wow. That's an amazing coincidence, could I get your thoughts on the middle-east conflict? I'm writing an essay and some insight from a person living there could be helpful.

Seth

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
You lived in Jerusalem? Wow. That's an amazing coincidence, could I get your thoughts on the middle-east conflict? I'm writing an essay and some insight from a person living there could be helpful.

No problem, but not in a public forum.  Can you post a private email address?

NowImHere

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
You can post private messages :)

NowImHere

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:15:03 PM »
/yup

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »
Just heard one from a guy on the bus.
"No-one is above Mercy,
No-one is below Justice." - Guy from bus.

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 08:48:08 AM »
Mmm... Those are good ones

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 08:58:47 AM »
No, they're one quote.

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »
I was including Seth's quotes as well.

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
Of course, my mistake.

LiB

• LC Addict
  • 100100 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To LiB
  • A/S/L : 26/m
  • Loner Personality: ISFJ (The Nurturer)
  • My loner philosophy : Live life let live.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »
"See others for what they are, not as what they wish
  to be....then you will understand them better" -unknown

Firzen

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 12:50:19 AM »
Not sure how old you are or if this helps at all, but my nephew, who's in his mid-twenties, told me my story "gives him hope" for his own life. My story goes like this...

I vowed to wait until I found a women who was smart, sexy, affectionate, easy to live/be with, loyal, mature, and -- like you say -- not crazy. I figured it would be better to be alone than to be with anything less. I would occasionally meet women like this, but they were always already married. It took me a while to realize that they hadn't possessed all these qualities back when they first got married however... what I was observing was maturity. The trick, I discovered, if I may generalize, is to wait until you're 35+ and pick a woman who is divorced, but hasn't given up hope on finding love. Trust me, these women are everywhere. All those women who fell for the assholes got mature, grew up, and left the assholes. In my experience, divorced women tend to be more mature and realistic than younger women, established in their careers, know who they are, what they want/like, etc., etc.

I waited until I was 42 to marry, eventually met an amazing, sexy, brilliant woman 8 years younger. She's got boundless energy, I've got experience. We're a great team. (Edit: The age difference is important if you want the option of having kids.)

This strategy has turned out to be awesome for me. But you have to wait and be patient for it to work. Men get more desirable with age. By the time I was 40, all of my college-age bookish nerdiness -- which was kryptonite to lots of girls -- had seasoned into something more like wisdom. And career success, which opened up a lot of options... my negative traits had morphed into traits women find desirable in a man. I've always had girlfriends, but never had women flocking to me. And then, sometime around my mid-thirties, things changed dramatically, and between my increased value plus women's biological clocks ticking down, I started to feel like the only guy on an island full of women. I also understood women better. Knew how to talk to them, how to listen, how to make them feel beautiful, etc., and knew how to demonstrate confidence without arrogance. At that point, it's not a stretch to say I had my pick of women. A difference between night and day, compared to the 20-something me.

When I started dating the woman I later married, my nephew called her "Six" for her resemblance to Tricia Helfer. Picture her, or any woman with that kind of confidence/sexiness/gravitas, in your head and try to picture her with a dude her own age (or, god forbid, younger)... versus a guy who's a little older, has a few gray hairs, a slightly weathered face, has traveled the world, started companies... and you can see how it all makes sense, the pieces fall into place. The trick is to become that guy, which is pretty much just a matter of staying single (i.e., not settling), staying childless, and continuing to grow and learn. The rest (maturity) pretty much happens automatically as a function of age. Incidentally, there's nothing to keep you from being with women the whole time, while you're maturing. In fact, these relationships will make you a better husband one day for the one that's a keeper. (Edit: And if you should happen to meet the right one sooner, don't be indecisive... pounce.)

After a discussion similar to this, my nephew got a passport and started traveling.

by darien_gap

LiB

• LC Addict
  • 100100 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To LiB
  • A/S/L : 26/m
  • Loner Personality: ISFJ (The Nurturer)
  • My loner philosophy : Live life let live.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 01:26:13 AM »
Not sure how old you are or if this helps at all, but my nephew, who's in his mid-twenties, told me my story "gives him hope" for his own life. My story goes like this...

I vowed to wait until I found a women who was smart, sexy, affectionate, easy to live/be with, loyal, mature, and -- like you say -- not crazy. I figured it would be better to be alone than to be with anything less. I would occasionally meet women like this, but they were always already married. It took me a while to realize that they hadn't possessed all these qualities back when they first got married however... what I was observing was maturity. The trick, I discovered, if I may generalize, is to wait until you're 35+ and pick a woman who is divorced, but hasn't given up hope on finding love. Trust me, these women are everywhere. All those women who fell for the assholes got mature, grew up, and left the assholes. In my experience, divorced women tend to be more mature and realistic than younger women, established in their careers, know who they are, what they want/like, etc., etc.

I waited until I was 42 to marry, eventually met an amazing, sexy, brilliant woman 8 years younger. She's got boundless energy, I've got experience. We're a great team. (Edit: The age difference is important if you want the option of having kids.)

This strategy has turned out to be awesome for me. But you have to wait and be patient for it to work. Men get more desirable with age. By the time I was 40, all of my college-age bookish nerdiness -- which was kryptonite to lots of girls -- had seasoned into something more like wisdom. And career success, which opened up a lot of options... my negative traits had morphed into traits women find desirable in a man. I've always had girlfriends, but never had women flocking to me. And then, sometime around my mid-thirties, things changed dramatically, and between my increased value plus women's biological clocks ticking down, I started to feel like the only guy on an island full of women. I also understood women better. Knew how to talk to them, how to listen, how to make them feel beautiful, etc., and knew how to demonstrate confidence without arrogance. At that point, it's not a stretch to say I had my pick of women. A difference between night and day, compared to the 20-something me.

When I started dating the woman I later married, my nephew called her "Six" for her resemblance to Tricia Helfer. Picture her, or any woman with that kind of confidence/sexiness/gravitas, in your head and try to picture her with a dude her own age (or, god forbid, younger)... versus a guy who's a little older, has a few gray hairs, a slightly weathered face, has traveled the world, started companies... and you can see how it all makes sense, the pieces fall into place. The trick is to become that guy, which is pretty much just a matter of staying single (i.e., not settling), staying childless, and continuing to grow and learn. The rest (maturity) pretty much happens automatically as a function of age. Incidentally, there's nothing to keep you from being with women the whole time, while you're maturing. In fact, these relationships will make you a better husband one day for the one that's a keeper. (Edit: And if you should happen to meet the right one sooner, don't be indecisive... pounce.)

After a discussion similar to this, my nephew got a passport and started traveling.

by darien_gap

awesome! ;)

NowImHere

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 01:33:03 AM »
headache!

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 05:47:08 AM »
You should put who it was by first Firzen, I thought it was writen by you and you said yourself you were forty, not 18.