Author Topic: A "Ghost" Haunts Our Genes  (Read 81 times)

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
A "Ghost" Haunts Our Genes
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:12:15 AM »
There's a ghost in our genes, a humanoid ancestor who has left his trace in our saliva. Gross, I know, but here's the story on it.

Sign of a Mysterious Human Ancestor Has Been Found in Our Spit

MIKE MCRAE
22 JUL 2017

It's not enough for some people on this planet to say they have their mother's eyes – they can now claim to have their great, great, great… (a few thousand greats later) …great grandmother's saliva.

A variation on the gene for our spit's mucus shows signs of having been passed down from a distant ancestor. Not only is this gene unique among modern humans, it looks nothing like the one possessed by our Neanderthal or Denisovan cousins, leaving us to ask; just who did they get it from?

MUC7 is a gene that makes the long strings of protein called mucin, which gives our spit its thick, sticky quality.

Not all MUC7 genes are alike, with a repeating region of code marking out variations that could be useful in tracing back different lineages in our modern human population.

That was the plan for a team of researchers from the University of Buffalo in the US, who analysed the mucin-7 gene from more than 2,500 individual genomes from modern humans to see what secrets these differences might hold.

More at the link.....