Author Topic: 10 Science Mysteries We Want Answers To  (Read 119 times)

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
10 Science Mysteries We Want Answers To
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »
Life without mystery would be incredibly boring. What would there be to get excited about?

Here are some scientific mysteries we'd all like to see definitively solved.

1. The impossible EM drive... works? Since first hearing rumours about NASA's physics-breaking propulsion system late last year, a paper describing their device has passed peer-review, and China claims to be testing their own version in space right now.

And yet, no one can explain how this fuel-less drive is able to violate Newton's Third Law: everything must have an equal and opposite reaction. If we learn anything this year or next, let's hope we can get to the bottom of this confounding machine.

2. Humpback whales have been forming mysterious 'super-groups', and we still don't know why. Back in March, never-before-seen groups of up to 200 whales were appearing off the coast of South Africa, which is weird, because seven is usually the upper limit for these solitary animals.

The behaviour could be due to changes in prey availability, or because the species has been making a surprising comeback in recent years, but the jury's still out on this one.

Read about the other eight mysteries . . .

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
Re: 10 Science Mysteries We Want Answers To
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 04:56:18 AM »
One of my own foundational philosophical models is:

The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, but stranger than we can imagine.

Since my understanding of physics doesn't even rise to the level of rudimentary, I'm not really competent to judge how mysterious many of these are from a physic perspective.

Just curious Book, I get the impression you're from a strong sci-tech background.  Do you have a degree?  What's it in?  If my questions are too intrusive, you can ignore them.

To me, the most personally relevant mystery is the mind-body question.  But I suppose most scientists would say this, and all the mysterious here, are much ado about little. 

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
Re: 10 Science Mysteries We Want Answers To
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 05:01:22 AM »
One of my own foundational philosophical models is:

The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, but stranger than we can imagine.

Since my understanding of physics doesn't even rise to the level of rudimentary, I'm not really competent to judge how mysterious many of these are from a physic perspective.

Just curious Book, I get the impression you're from a strong sci-tech background.  Do you have a degree?  What's it in?  If my questions are too intrusive, you can ignore them.

To me, the most personally relevant mystery is the mind-body question.  But I suppose most scientists would say this, and all the mysterious here, are much ado about little.

I am a college grad, but prefer not to be specific.

I also devour non-fiction like manna from heaven. When I pick up a book from the library it's like Christmas Eve to me. I love books, so I've learned a lot on my own too.

Nice to see you. Hope you're well, Jeremiah:laugh: