Author Topic: What Foods Do You Want to Try?  (Read 458 times)

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Angel Embrace
  • Love is my home
  • A/S/L : 22/F/In Dreams
  • I am : Sad Loner
  • Loner Personality: INFP (The Idealist)
  • My loner philosophy : Find who you are and what makes you happy on the inside. Be nice to others and respective of their own path.
What Foods Do You Want to Try?
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:13:50 AM »
For me, I want to try-

~ Beignets
~ Fried cheesecake
~ Okonomiyaki
~ Food in bento boxes
~ Trifle
~ Creme Brulee
~ Baked Alaska
~ Ratatouille
~ Majority of Japanese foods!!

And there's definitely a lot more I'd want to try! x)
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~ Romans 12:2

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
Re: What Foods Do You Want to Try?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
For me, I want to try-

~ Beignets
~ Fried cheesecake
~ Okonomiyaki
~ Food in bento boxes
~ Trifle
~ Creme Brulee
~ Baked Alaska
~ Ratatouille
~ Majority of Japanese foods!!

And there's definitely a lot more I'd want to try! x)

Okonomiyaki is excellent and quick and easy to make. Let me know if you'd like the recipe I use, which is for Hiroshima style.
History . . . is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake.

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Love is my home
  • My loner philosophy : Find who you are and what makes you happy on the inside. Be nice to others and respective of their own path.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »
Okonomiyaki is excellent and quick and easy to make. Let me know if you'd like the recipe I use, which is for Hiroshima style.

Oh that would be great! ^0^
Do you also make the sauce yourself or do you buy it?
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~ Romans 12:2

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
O K O N O M I Y A K I
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »
Oh that would be great! ^0^
Do you also make the sauce yourself or do you buy it?

I'll post it later today. In the meantime, here's a pic of it from last week -

Post Merge: April 25, 2017, 02:11:55 AM
I'm composing the post now, but it will take some time as I want to get it right for you, and I have Admin responsibilities at another forum, so my attention is divided.

:laugh:

Post Merge: April 25, 2017, 05:42:56 AM
Remember, okonomiyaki can contain many different ingredients. This recipe is one of my basic recipes. I often substitute lightly scrambled eggs for the pancake portion of this recipe.

You can make yours any way you like.

INGREDIENTS

3 small shrimp - chopped

1/4 to 1/2 head of green cabbage - sliced thinly

Bean sprouts (a good handful or two) - rinsed well

1 egg

1 to 3 tbs butter - you decide how much you want to use

Salt to taste

Okonomiyaki Flour

Ramen (Use only the noodles.)

Bonito Flakes

Okonomi Sauce (This is the size I buy.)

Okonomi Sauce (Small)

Kewpie Mayonnaise

Ao Nori Flakes

PREPARATION

On one burner, prepare the ramen noodles as directed without the seasoning packet. Be sure to thoroughly separate the noodles as they're cooking. When the noodles are ready, set them aside to drain.

On another burner, in a 2-quart saucepan, add some butter and lightly sauté the cabbage and bean sprouts. Add salt to taste.

On another burner, heat a small skillet on low-medium heat.

In a bowl, thoroughly mix the egg, the shrimp, and about 1/2 cup okonomiyaki flour. Add a little warm water from the faucet to thin it a bit. You don't want it thick like pancake batter, but thin to make two thin pancakes.

Make two pancakes. Don't overcook them or they'll be rubbery. Set them aside when done.

In the same small skillet, add a bit of butter and gently fry your ramen to the crispness you like.

PLATING

1.  Place one pancake on the plate.

2.  Place ramen noodles on the pancake.

3.  Place the cabbage and bean sprouts mixture on top of the ramen.

4.  Place the second pancake on top.

5.  Sprinkle bonito flakes on it to taste.

6.  Squeeze the desired amount of okonomi sauce on it in a criss-cross pattern.

7.  Squeeze the desired amount of Kewpie mayonnaise on it, in the other direction, in a criss-cross pattern.

8.  Nuke for 30 to 45 seconds.

9.  Sprinkle ao nori flakes on top to taste.

NOTE -

Don't put too much ao nori on it. It will drown out the taste of everything else.

Beginning to end, it takes me, at the outside, 15 minutes to make this. It goes very fast. It's the clean-up that's the pain, as always.

When complete, your okonomiyaki should resemble the picture I posted initially, above.

I'm a foodie, so I eat the whole thing. I guess that makes me a pig too.  :tongue:

Generally, this will feed two to three people.

Shoot me any questions you may have.

Book  :laugh:

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Love is my home
Re: O K O N O M I Y A K I
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:22 AM »
I'll post it later today. In the meantime, here's a pic of it from last week -

Post Merge: April 25, 2017, 02:11:55 AM
I'm composing the post now, but it will take some time as I want to get it right for you, and I have Admin responsibilities at another forum, so my attention is divided.

Post Merge: April 25, 2017, 05:42:56 AM
Remember, okonomiyaki can contain many different ingredients. This recipe is one of my basic recipes. I often substitute lightly scrambled eggs for the pancake portion of this recipe.

You can make yours any way you like.

INGREDIENTS

3 small shrimp - chopped

1/4 to 1/2 head of green cabbage - sliced thinly

Bean sprouts (a good handful or two) - rinsed well

1 egg

1 to 3 tbs butter - you decide how much you want to use

Salt to taste

Okonomiyaki Flour

Ramen (Use only the noodles.)

Bonito Flakes

Okonomi Sauce (This is the size I buy.)

Okonomi Sauce (Small)

Kewpie Mayonnaise

Ao Nori Flakes

PREPARATION

On one burner, prepare the ramen noodles as directed without the seasoning packet. Be sure to thoroughly separate the noodles as they're cooking. When the noodles are ready, set them aside to drain.

On another burner, in a 2-quart saucepan, add some butter and lightly sauté the cabbage and bean sprouts. Add salt to taste.

On another burner, heat a small skillet on low-medium heat.

In a bowl, thoroughly mix the egg, the shrimp, and about 1/2 cup okonomiyaki flour. Add a little warm water from the faucet to thin it a bit. You don't want it thick like pancake batter, but thin to make two thin pancakes.

Make two pancakes. Don't overcook them or they'll be rubbery. Set them aside when done.

In the same small skillet, add a bit of butter and gently fry your ramen to the crispness you like.

PLATING

1.  Place one pancake on the plate.

2.  Place ramen noodles on the pancake.

3.  Place the cabbage and bean sprouts mixture on top of the ramen.

4.  Place the second pancake on top.

5.  Sprinkle bonito flakes on it to taste.

6.  Squeeze the desired amount of okonomi sauce on it in a criss-cross pattern.

7.  Squeeze the desired amount of Kewpie mayonnaise on it, in the other direction, in a criss-cross pattern.

8.  Nuke for 30 to 45 seconds.

9.  Sprinkle ao nori flakes on top to taste.

NOTE -

Don't put too much ao nori on it. It will drown out the taste of everything else.

Beginning to end, it takes me, at the outside, 15 minutes to make this. It goes very fast. It's the clean-up that's the pain, as always.

When complete, your okonomiyaki should resemble the picture I posted initially, above.

I'm a foodie, so I eat the whole thing. I guess that makes me a pig too.  :tongue:

Generally, this will feed two to three people.

Shoot me any questions you may have.

Book  :laugh:

WOW thanks so much for taking the time to put together this recipe for me! :azn: you even put up pictures, omg that's so thoughtful. ^w^ The dish looks scruuuuumptious my mouth is already watering  :kiss: oh yes i bet it smells great  :kiss: :kiss:
You have great photography skill, the lighting is perfect, it seems you had it on a nice day  :cheesy: I would really love to try this out!
It'd just have to get some of the ingredients that are uncommon where I live.

Do you have a local market that sells the okonomiyaki toppings and flour or do you buy them online?

I'm not a big fan of seafood, so I may opt for pork instead of shrimp and I could try the bonito flakes, I'm not sure how bonito tastes like, but I like salmon and haddock. Also, how would describe the taste? Is it savory? Sweet? :cheesy:

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:24:57 AM »
WOW thanks so much for taking the time to put together this recipe for me! :azn: you even put up pictures, omg that's so thoughtful. ^w^ The dish looks scruuuuumptious my mouth is already watering  :kiss: oh yes i bet it smells great  :kiss: :kiss:
You have great photography skill, the lighting is perfect, it seems you had it on a nice day  :cheesy: I would really love to try this out!
It'd just have to get some of the ingredients that are uncommon where I live.

Do you have a local market that sells the okonomiyaki toppings and flour or do you buy them online?

I'm not a big fan of seafood, so I may opt for pork instead of shrimp and I could try the bonito flakes, I'm not sure how bonito tastes like, but I like salmon and haddock. Also, how would describe the taste? Is it savory? Sweet? :cheesy:

Bonito is savory or umami.

I get my ingredients from Amazon (okonomiyaki flour, ao nori, okonomi sauce, bonito), and a local Asian grocery (Kewpie mayonnaise). You can get Kewpie from Amazon too.

I attribute the nice light in my kitchen to a big window with a southern exposure. The kitchen is wonderful from about 1500 to 1800 all year long. Very bright and cheery.

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Love is my home
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »
Bonito is savory or umami.

I get my ingredients from Amazon (okonomiyaki flour, ao nori, okonomi sauce, bonito), and a local Asian grocery (Kewpie mayonnaise). You can get Kewpie from Amazon too.

I attribute the nice light in my kitchen to a big window with a southern exposure. The kitchen is wonderful from about 1500 to 1800 all year long. Very bright and cheery.

Ah I see, I have an Korean&Japanese market that's quite a ways from where I live, but it's usually pricey, but I can definitely check their for the ingredients and even online too to compare prices!

And I love bright rooms or at least rooms that get lots of sunlight <3 A light room brightens my mood! :azn: :cheesy: It must be a great kitchen ^0^

Sil Ver Quin

• LC Regular
  • 30000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sil Ver Quin
  • Boom!
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : if it makes me happy then why not ?
  • Status Update: This is the best forum in the internet... :)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Much cheaper alternative than Kewpie is regular mayo mixed with sweet condensed milk to make it creamier & sweeter ^_^
I <3 Loners-Club.com

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Love is my home
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 03:40:07 AM »
Much cheaper alternative than Kewpie is regular mayo mixed with sweet condensed milk to make it creamier & sweeter ^_^

Oooh I love condensed milk *w*
Especially with bread!