Author Topic: Finding a job  (Read 116 times)

ilovepitou

Finding a job
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:09:46 PM »
I wasn't sure where the best place to put this was. Anyways, so I am currently a cashier and have been for about 9 months. This is my first job and I want to get a new one. I don't feel like I'd be all that good at that many jobs. I tried being a server for a really short time and I was much worse as a server than as a cashier. I noticed that I much preferred cleaning the tables after people left than actually being a server. I am very forgetful and much prefer doing things at a more leisurely pace. I was told to not let customers know if I've never tried something. But I suck at lying. The closest I will get is saying "I don't like it, because I'm not a fan of *insert random ingredient* coconut, but it is a popular dish." As a cashier, I will let them know I haven't tried it. I don't lie about how popular a product is. But if I like something, I will definitely act very excited about it if someone asks about it, or even if they are already buying it.

I don't drive, which has made my search much harder. My current job is 3 miles (less than 4.8 km) away, and I often walk that distance, which I'd rather not do when I get off at around 11pm. I used to have a bike, but that was stolen. I make about $8 per hour, and I am lucky if I work 20 hours a week. I actually lose money each month by keeping this job. It is both too far and doesn't pay enough. I can and I have been taking the bus, but I still have to walk about 1.5 miles anyways and it takes just as long as just walking the entire way. Plus the bus costs make it harder for me to afford my current job.

I have been wanting to go to a few hearing aid places that are about 1.5 miles away, but I feel awkward just going in and asking if they are hiring. I don't even know what kind of job I could do there, because I can't really do phone calls, because my hearing aids don't really work well with phones. I am also not an audiologist, so I can't do that, but as someone who has hearing aids, I know more than the average person about them. A regular customer at my job actually brought in a friend of hers to talk to me about problems she's been having with her hearing aids and what she should do.

I like helping people and just being friendly with them, but I get drained by being around so many people. I am pretty bubbly. I like how my current job lets me stock and clean when I don't have customers at the register, because it gives me variety and lets me walk around and be more active and physical. I actually can't stand in one place for too long, because then I have low blood pressure. I actually almost fainted the second day I worked there. A coworker caught me and told me she was yelling. By that point I was blind and deaf. Walking is better for me, but heat and dehydration also can make me faint. Thankfully, anytime that happens all I need to do is sit down or lay down for a few minutes and I am ok. This only happens every few months, but I am afraid it would happen more often if I have a job that requires me to stand still.

I actually like my current job quite a bit, because I like talking with the regulars. So many of the customers are senior citizens and they are fun to talk to. I also like that the managers are not too involved in my work and I mostly get to stock and clean how and when I chose to. In the order I choose to as long as I stay busy. I mostly get the managers when I am having a problem with something.

Even if I do find a type of job that works for me, I struggle with getting any new jobs at all. I am not a particularly impressive person on paper.

Sorry this is all over the place and pretty long, I am not that good at organizing my thoughts as I'm writing.

Azure Potato

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 15000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Azure Potato
  • A/S/L : 25/Male/Estonia
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: INFP (The Idealist)
  • My loner philosophy : Keep moving head held high!
  • Status Update: I'm such a fool...
Re: Finding a job
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »
Since I don't really work right now and just started learning web development then all I can say is +1 to you.

Very interesting read :=)

Also I'm a lil slow in the head so may I ask what you mean by bubbly?

I'm not very helpful with finding work so maybe other people can consult with that but what I can say is that it doesn't matter what the paper says about you, what matters is what you say about yourself with the way you live and do things.

Also, regulars can be pretty fun to talk to indeed, plus they can surprise you when you least expect it :) hehe

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. - John Quincy Adams

Sincerely,
Azure Potato.
 /howdy
We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot - Eleanor Roosevelt

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Angel Embrace
  • Love is my home
  • A/S/L : 22/F/In Dreams
  • I am : Sad Loner
  • Loner Personality: INFP (The Idealist)
  • My loner philosophy : Find who you are and what makes you happy on the inside. Be nice to others and respective of their own path.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:15:29 AM »
I wasn't sure where the best place to put this was. Anyways, so I am currently a cashier and have been for about 9 months. This is my first job and I want to get a new one. I don't feel like I'd be all that good at that many jobs. I tried being a server for a really short time and I was much worse as a server than as a cashier. I noticed that I much preferred cleaning the tables after people left than actually being a server. I am very forgetful and much prefer doing things at a more leisurely pace. I was told to not let customers know if I've never tried something. But I suck at lying. The closest I will get is saying "I don't like it, because I'm not a fan of *insert random ingredient* coconut, but it is a popular dish." As a cashier, I will let them know I haven't tried it. I don't lie about how popular a product is. But if I like something, I will definitely act very excited about it if someone asks about it, or even if they are already buying it.

I don't drive, which has made my search much harder. My current job is 3 miles (less than 4.8 km) away, and I often walk that distance, which I'd rather not do when I get off at around 11pm. I used to have a bike, but that was stolen. I make about $8 per hour, and I am lucky if I work 20 hours a week. I actually lose money each month by keeping this job. It is both too far and doesn't pay enough. I can and I have been taking the bus, but I still have to walk about 1.5 miles anyways and it takes just as long as just walking the entire way. Plus the bus costs make it harder for me to afford my current job.

I have been wanting to go to a few hearing aid places that are about 1.5 miles away, but I feel awkward just going in and asking if they are hiring. I don't even know what kind of job I could do there, because I can't really do phone calls, because my hearing aids don't really work well with phones. I am also not an audiologist, so I can't do that, but as someone who has hearing aids, I know more than the average person about them. A regular customer at my job actually brought in a friend of hers to talk to me about problems she's been having with her hearing aids and what she should do.

I like helping people and just being friendly with them, but I get drained by being around so many people. I am pretty bubbly. I like how my current job lets me stock and clean when I don't have customers at the register, because it gives me variety and lets me walk around and be more active and physical. I actually can't stand in one place for too long, because then I have low blood pressure. I actually almost fainted the second day I worked there. A coworker caught me and told me she was yelling. By that point I was blind and deaf. Walking is better for me, but heat and dehydration also can make me faint. Thankfully, anytime that happens all I need to do is sit down or lay down for a few minutes and I am ok. This only happens every few months, but I am afraid it would happen more often if I have a job that requires me to stand still.

I actually like my current job quite a bit, because I like talking with the regulars. So many of the customers are senior citizens and they are fun to talk to. I also like that the managers are not too involved in my work and I mostly get to stock and clean how and when I chose to. In the order I choose to as long as I stay busy. I mostly get the managers when I am having a problem with something.

Even if I do find a type of job that works for me, I struggle with getting any new jobs at all. I am not a particularly impressive person on paper.

Sorry this is all over the place and pretty long, I am not that good at organizing my thoughts as I'm writing.

Hi i lovepitou, I really enjoyed reading what you wrote there. I imagined it all in my head and idk I just like reading people's life sometimes :azn:
I'm not sure what to say about this however. =\
I don't have a job currently, but the last time I was a cashier it was a terrible job for me!! But there were reasons and I'm thinking of becoming a cashier again sometime this year just so I can have some money and at least I had prior experience. Just going to choose a different market to work in, not the same place.

The only thing I could say is to email them and ask if they need any kind of help and what jobs they can offer. mention that you have knowledge of hearing aides, but not comfortable with phone calls because of your hearing aide problem. But they might put you up for front desk or something. Usually having some knowledge in a field should help boost your chances of getting a job, especially since you have hearing aid.
Also, I have found emailing has helped me better than just walking in. If they decline me, it's easier to accept, plus you have time to think what you want to write.
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~ Romans 12:2

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Mystic Cow
  • A/S/L : 25,M, USA
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • My loner philosophy : Look alive
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:25 AM »
I suck at finding jobs. The only real job I had, I got by dumb luck. Otherwise, I've managed by mostly work-at-home stuff. I posted a topic in loner jobs, that may interest you. You sound like an introvert, in the way you described being drained. 

If you happen to have some friends and acquaintances, I would ask around.