Author Topic: 15 Things You Should Know About Saké  (Read 85 times)

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
15 Things You Should Know About Saké
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:21:38 PM »
I'm a drinker of saké. My favorite is Moonstone Asian Pear Saké, which is a bit expensive, so I drink it only rarely.

I ran across this interesting article today, which discusses a number of things about saké in general.

The article also mentions a documentary entitled "The Birth of Saké". I've watched it on Amazon Video and I highly recommend it. It follows a season of saké brewing at a boutique brewery in Northern Japan.

Saké has long been considered the national drink of Japan. But as its popularity spreads around the world, the secrets behind its ancient traditions have come to light.

1. Saké has more in common with beer than wine.

Though English-speaking countries often refer to saké as "rice wine," that's a misnomer. Rice wine is made from the fermentation of rice, while Western wines are made of the fermentation of grapes. Saké is made from rice, but through a brewing process that converts starch to alcohol, similar to the way that beer is made.

2. Brewing saké is an arduous process.

Saké rice is first stripped of protein and oils in "polishing," then washed of its debris and air-dried. After being steamed, Koji is kneaded into the rice by hand or by machines. Koji is a mold that will help convert rice starch to sugar, which will turn into alcohol during the two-step fermentation process (Shubo and Moromi).

This second fermentation stage lasts 25 to 30 days, depending on the type of saké being made. During this time the brewers will keep close watch on the batch day and night, adjusting temperature and ingredients as needed. Finally, in the Jo-So stage, the rice mash is pressed. The resulting saké is bottled.

Read the rest of the article . . .