Author Topic: Loner and Jobless (or with limited income)  (Read 169 times)

Mimi

• Lurking Crowd
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Mimi
  • A/S/L : 25/Female/MS
  • I am : Eccentric Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : I am who I am.II am who I am.
Loner and Jobless (or with limited income)
« on: October 25, 2016, 05:01:14 PM »
Being a loner is one thing, but not knowing how to provide for yourself financially is another. I graduated college almost 2 years ago with a Business Admin degree. The job search that came after was brutal! I felt so lost (still do) and it doesn't help that I still live with my emotionally distant/manipulative mother and a jerk of a father. After many failed attempts at job searching, I chose the only opportunity that came my way. I became an AmeriCorps VISTA which basically means that I'm a professional volunteer. I get paid a stipend of about $870 per month with 0 benefits and a non tax exempt Education Grant/Award once my service year is over.
On the bright side, my student loans are in forbearance while I'm serving, and although I have to pay taxes on the ED Award, it's money that would be used to pay off my student loans or tuition assistance if I go back to school. This "job" only last a year and I refuse to do it for another year! What will I do once my VISTA service year is over? My employment situation hasn't changed and I'm filled with worry about my future. I need to move away from my parents (they are toxic to my mental health) and I want a job that pays me a real living wage with benefits. 
Although I've being applying for federal jobs,  interviewing for jobs gives me anxiety and it shows. I've not received 1 job offer after being in a face to face interview. That makes me not want to apply to begin with but for some reason I still do. Some might advice me to network! Network! Network! Ugh networking is only beneficial for those who enjoy interacting with others, but I'm just not good at it! Trust me I have tried and failed too many times to count. So my question is if not short of prostitution, how can I earn a decent living being loner and all?

Please be kind

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
Re: Loner and Jobless (or with limited income)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:28:14 AM »
Welcome, Mimi.

I'm definitely not the person to give you any advice since I'm so marginal, economically and in all other ways, that I'm lucky I even have roof over my head.  I have a very shoe-string lawn and garden service and live in 100+ old house in what would pretty much be called a "slum".  Financially, I'm not that ambitious.

I hope there'll be a few people closer to your age, aspirations and outlook who'll step up and give you some advice, or at least some encouraging words.

I'm sure the competition has to be fierce in your field.  I hope something comes your way.

Mimi

• Lurking Crowd
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Mimi
  • A/S/L : 25/Female/MS
  • I am : Eccentric Loner
  • My loner philosophy : I am who I am.II am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »
I hope something comes my way too. I recently (today) applied for a hostess/server job that I hope will call me for an interview. It isn't what I want to do career wise, but I'll take it over nothing at all. Plus it'll be extra income which will be great!

Thank you for your kind words. :)

lonesomebadger

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lonesomebadger
  • Solitude is a kind of freedom---Umberto Eco
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : i happen to be crazy, not stupid
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 06:36:24 PM »
I don't know if this is your thing,but have you looked at the military? They need administrators for the complex workings of the systems in it. It could work out for you.

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:05:36 PM »
Mimi,

I was in your shoes many years ago. I finally ended up applying at a temp agency and bounced around to different employers picking up a variety of skills. Then I landed at one place where I was a perfect fit and they hired me. I worked there until I was able to jumpstart my chosen career.

It's a hard path to beat and I really had to keep a lid on my loner attitude, which was excruciating for me, but it's about survival, right? I know exactly how you feel.

Good luck. I hope you find something soon.

Book /read
History . . . is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake.