login

Author Topic: pen pals  (Read 980 times)

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kipperbang12
  • This whole "imaginary underground" got me thinking
  • A/S/L : 18/m/uk
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : loners are the cool ones ;)
  • Status Update: bug infested floorboards - can we leave this place now?
pen pals
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:34:21 PM »
does anyone have any?

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
Re: pen pals
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 11:57:38 PM »
In the early 90's, during the first Gulf War, I had a pen pal from Wales who was working at an airbase in Saudi Arabia. He was teaching the Saudis how to service their Tornadoes. Real nice guy.

Don't know what happened to him.

Then I got a pimp note from some guy in South Africa. I stopped pen "palling" when that happened.

The dude called himself my new boyfriend and wanted money.    :shocked:

I. DON'T. THINK. SO.
History . . . is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake.

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:21:24 AM »

I. DON'T. THINK. SO.

that's not good!

griffin

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To griffin
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Drifting along
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:37 AM »
Well I did at school fair few years now I was partnered up with them as they had similar interests also they were Australian. I still have them on FB but after a certain incident I guess I havent talked to them now ah.

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 05:16:09 AM »
that's not good!

Yeah, he started his first and only letter to me with - "It's your new boyfriend, Isaac!"

Stalk much?! It was one letter, but I felt instantly under siege.

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 03:27:25 AM »
Other than hanging out, pen palling, APA's (Amateur Press Associations), LOC's (letters of comment) to fanzines and comic books, and letters to the editor, were the only way to communicate with like-minded people.  They served the same purpose as forums like this and social networking sites. I'm still involved in that subculture, to an extent, even though I shamefully neglect a lot of my old pen pals. 

I started pen palling in my pre-teens and since then, over the years have pen palled with friends who moved away, cousins, somebody from Ghana, fellow zinesters, and have just written, and saved, a lot of letters.  I treasure them and the whole experience involved in it.

I like forums and my on-line friends too, but they're not necessarily superior to letters.  For some reason that's very hard to define, the old communication ways have their own qualitative difference to the Internet.  A good number of my old friends wouldn't even consider joining me on an Internet forum.  Some are younger than I am.  They've got they're reasons, and I can understand them.

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:55:48 AM »
Other than hanging out, pen palling, APA's (Amateur Press Associations), LOC's (letters of comment) to fanzines and comic books, and letters to the editor, were the only way to communicate with like-minded people.  They served the same purpose as forums like this and social networking sites. I'm still involved in that subculture, to an extent, even though I shamefully neglect a lot of my old pen pals. 

I started pen palling in my pre-teens and since then, over the years have pen palled with friends who moved away, cousins, somebody from Ghana, fellow zinesters, and have just written, and saved, a lot of letters.  I treasure them and the whole experience involved in it.

I like forums and my on-line friends too, but they're not necessarily superior to letters.  For some reason that's very hard to define, the old communication ways have their own qualitative difference to the Internet.  A good number of my old friends wouldn't even consider joining me on an Internet forum.  Some are younger than I am.  They've got they're reasons, and I can understand them.

interesting stuff, wish i had that pen pal experience!

Loner4Ever

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 08:23:33 AM »
In the early 90's, during the first Gulf War, I had a pen pal from Wales who was working at an airbase in Saudi Arabia. He was teaching the Saudis how to service their Tornadoes. Real nice guy.

Don't know what happened to him.

Then I got a pimp note from some guy in South Africa. I stopped pen "palling" when that happened.

I. DON'T. THINK. SO.

That sounds hilarious to me. But I would have immediately stopped talking to him after laughing for less than 10 minutes. I would pen pal someone (with a different handwriting to make sure they don't know who I am). But, I am iffy on it.

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 06:09:38 AM »
That sounds hilarious to me. But I would have immediately stopped talking to him after laughing for less than 10 minutes.

me too!

randomamazingperson

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To randomamazingperson
  • A/S/L : 30/Female/California, USA
  • I am : Cool Loner
  • My loner philosophy : I can have fun on my own, create happiness without others, and still welcome company without needing it.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 08:32:52 PM »
I had penpals in the past. Either they lost interest in e-mailing or messaging me or I lost interest in e-mailing or messaging them. There's no point to it. We get to know some information about each other, but it eventually fades because there's no reason to keep talking about ourselves when we won't meet and share activities offline. We can't form a stable connection without nonverbal language. We have to see, hear, smell, and feel them to connect.
Long lasting happiness is created from within--accepting yourself as you are, not needing to change or do anything; loving, understanding, listening to, & being kind & compassionate to yourself; & knowing that you aren't damaged, defective, incomplete, lacking, or missing something, & you're normal.

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 04:40:30 AM »
I had penpals in the past. Either they lost interest in e-mailing or messaging me or I lost interest in e-mailing or messaging them. There's no point to it. We get to know some information about each other, but it eventually fades because there's no reason to keep talking about ourselves when we won't meet and share activities offline. We can't form a stable connection without nonverbal language. We have to see, hear, smell, and feel them to connect.

i agree

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Angel Embrace
  • Love is my home
  • A/S/L : 22/F/In Dreams
  • I am : Sad Loner
  • Loner Personality: INFP (The Idealist)
  • My loner philosophy : Find who you are and what makes you happy on the inside. Be nice to others and respective of their own path.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »

Yes, i agree too.

But anyways~
I had a pen pal last year, and though we don't talk anymore, he is still very very dear to me and has a special place in my heart. ;w; :love77:

I met him on another forum and I made the first act of talking to him because he seemed positive but also wise and open to listening to any sort of wisdom. Plus, I kinda 'stalked' him around the forum and his writings spoke to me. xP
Well, we ended up emailing each other back and forth and found such a strong connection. Like our words really resonated, we kept saying to each other that it's like writing to a doppelganger! xP
It was almost too good to be true!

Unfortunately, we were both going through the same 'dark night of the soul' so we constantly got too exhausted to write. We scheduled to email each other sometimes after a few days, weeks, or even months. We shared a lot of insights and wisdom with one another and very quickly we fell in love. But I didn't even knew what he looked like! And he was very dear to me and relationship was extremely tender but honest, so I told him I was falling in love with him and he said he felt the same.
However, the universe was sending me messages along the lines of 'DON'T FALL IN LOVE!!!' Like, I heard songs with the same message and I was really drawn to those songs at the time. Even the lyrics were relatable! This was the song ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJzi1Q98_I

Also, before meeting him, I told myself that I don't want to be open to any relationships because I wanted to focus on building myself up first. Also, with what I was going through, I woke up almost every day, even if I had a good sleep, feeling exhausted. I was really really not ready for any relationships. I actually wanted to be alone from society for a year, but of course, that was not going to happen and couldn't.

Anyways, to make it short. We didn't take our relationship to another level. He was really sweet and listened to me about us not making that move. I more we talked to each other the more we realized we were going on different paths. We came together to learn something important, and from him, I learned to be compassionate with myself. And now we have learned what was needed from each other, we had to part ways. Both of our intuitions signaled it was time to part.

I remembered crying a lot, but I don't think he was my true love. The relationship we had was love on a different level. I felt like he was a part of me, like he was my brother, not of flesh and blood, but of the same soul line if that makes sense....It's not something easily described... But I didn't want to marry him. I really felt we had to learn from each other.

But I'm grateful to have met him.
I hope he's doing well.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~ Romans 12:2

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 03:58:31 AM »
Yes, i agree too.

But anyways~
I had a pen pal last year, and though we don't talk anymore, he is still very very dear to me and has a special place in my heart. ;w; :love77:

I met him on another forum and I made the first act of talking to him because he seemed positive but also wise and open to listening to any sort of wisdom. Plus, I kinda 'stalked' him around the forum and his writings spoke to me. xP
Well, we ended up emailing each other back and forth and found such a strong connection. Like our words really resonated, we kept saying to each other that it's like writing to a doppelganger! xP
It was almost too good to be true!

Unfortunately, we were both going through the same 'dark night of the soul' so we constantly got too exhausted to write. We scheduled to email each other sometimes after a few days, weeks, or even months. We shared a lot of insights and wisdom with one another and very quickly we fell in love. But I didn't even knew what he looked like! And he was very dear to me and relationship was extremely tender but honest, so I told him I was falling in love with him and he said he felt the same.
However, the universe was sending me messages along the lines of 'DON'T FALL IN LOVE!!!' Like, I heard songs with the same message and I was really drawn to those songs at the time. Even the lyrics were relatable! This was the song ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJzi1Q98_I

Also, before meeting him, I told myself that I don't want to be open to any relationships because I wanted to focus on building myself up first. Also, with what I was going through, I woke up almost every day, even if I had a good sleep, feeling exhausted. I was really really not ready for any relationships. I actually wanted to be alone from society for a year, but of course, that was not going to happen and couldn't.

Anyways, to make it short. We didn't take our relationship to another level. He was really sweet and listened to me about us not making that move. I more we talked to each other the more we realized we were going on different paths. We came together to learn something important, and from him, I learned to be compassionate with myself. And now we have learned what was needed from each other, we had to part ways. Both of our intuitions signaled it was time to part.

I remembered crying a lot, but I don't think he was my true love. The relationship we had was love on a different level. I felt like he was a part of me, like he was my brother, not of flesh and blood, but of the same soul line if that makes sense....It's not something easily described... But I didn't want to marry him. I really felt we had to learn from each other.

But I'm grateful to have met him.
I hope he's doing well.

that's quite the story! i used to chat to someone i found on here often, but their email must have been deleted, can't contact them anymore :(

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 06:28:21 AM »
that's quite the story! i used to chat to someone i found on here often, but their email must have been deleted, can't contact them anymore :(

Kipper,

Shoot me their member name in a PM. I will look for you.

Book

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Love is my home
  • My loner philosophy : Find who you are and what makes you happy on the inside. Be nice to others and respective of their own path.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »

Oh no! Maybe Book can help you! She's offering ^^
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~ Romans 12:2

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
Oh no! Maybe Book can help you! He's offering ^^

I'm a woman.  :tongue:

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Love is my home
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
I'm a woman.  :tongue:

OH I'm so sorry! I mean SHE!
I feel bad now  :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
I will correct it!

Pink Panda

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Pink Panda
  • C'est la vie
  • A/S/L : 21/F/Australia a.k.a. Straya
  • I am : Blonde Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • My loner philosophy : Don't waste time on people who won't waste their time on you.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
I have a Japanese Pen Pal we used to write like once a month but now its more like once or twice a year on birthdays a christmas usually. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »
I have a Japanese Pen Pal we used to write like once a month but now its more like once or twice a year on birthdays a christmas usually. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

:( sad to hear, did you write in japanese?