Author Topic: living on little money, minimalism  (Read 361 times)

griffin

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To griffin
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Drifting along
living on little money, minimalism
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »
You hear these people who live on little money and/or barely have any material possessions

what are your thoughts?

griffin

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To griffin
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Drifting along
Re: living on little money, minimalism
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
Think of my grandpa. He's a true hobo. Married the mississippi river. Traveled most of america too. Well. A lot of america. I think id like that kind of lifestyle.
I'd love to travel a lot sounds nice

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kipperbang12
  • This whole "imaginary underground" got me thinking
  • A/S/L : 18/m/uk
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : loners are the cool ones ;)
  • Status Update: bug infested floorboards - can we leave this place now?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 02:49:54 AM »
there's a japanese tradition of minimal living spaces, originally, so one would lose less items in a earthquake

tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »
Minimalism is one of my current projects.  I keep moving stuff I'm not using to a back room and eventually throwing or giving it away.  Rooms that have been "done" look great!  But it's a long process.   I have so much cr@p.

Anybody want further discussion? 

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Mystic Cow
  • A/S/L : 25,M, USA
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • My loner philosophy : Look alive
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »
Oh man. I read/heard about this woman that was as thrifty as possible. She would pee in a orange juice jug, flush only when necessary. You can apparently buy really cheap discount cuts from butchers( from the parts that they would routinely throw away). She was featured in a talk show somewhere. Anywho, apparently if you're that good at it, it is pretty "easy", emphasize on the quotes, to live like that.

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 03:15:37 AM »
For many years I was a hoarder, but I've cut way back on my collecting in the last few years.  I use the word "hoarder" advisedly because I'm not the kind with mountains of random junk mixed with decaying food and filth.  I still have a lot and I'm slowly trying to find good homes for it, either giving it away or selling it on consignment.  I've probably given truck loads of things away, sometimes a bit reluctantly though.  I'm very much a book and reading material hoarder.  I don't feel there's been anything really wrong or "disordered" about what I was doing, and I'll collect things if I want to, even though I'm less likely to these days.

Many frugal people have junk piles, so frugality and hoarding can go together as a money saving strategy.  Stocking up for a rainy day.  The question is knowing when enough is enough, but there's no simple formula to it.

I have also contemplated my own concept of minimalism.  Of how much I could live a meaningful and happy life with, and what would it be like?  Could I get my book needs down to a small shelf?  It's an interesting intellectual exercise, but I'm such a bibliophile and I have so many treasures I'm not going to force myself to give them up in the name of virtue.

lonesomebadger

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lonesomebadger
  • Solitude is a kind of freedom---Umberto Eco
  • My loner philosophy : i happen to be crazy, not stupid
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »
I've had this idea about having only a van or a small camper, and traveling  around the country in it. Stay at campsites,  or wherever I can, and have no permanent address.
  Then the serious part of my mind comes crashing in with all the "what ifs..." :icon_vader:

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kipperbang12
  • This whole "imaginary underground" got me thinking
  • A/S/L : 18/m/uk
  • My loner philosophy : loners are the cool ones ;)
  • Status Update: bug infested floorboards - can we leave this place now?
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
I've had this idea about having only a van or a small camper, and traveling  around the country in it. Stay at campsites,  or wherever I can, and have no permanent address.
  Then the serious part of my mind comes crashing in with all the "what ifs..." :icon_vader:

i would love to do that!

davina1221

• Lurking Crowd
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To davina1221
  • A/S/L : 46/F/TN
  • I am : Insecure Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • My loner philosophy : One can hear many things in silence; it can be deafening or healing depending on what you are experiencing.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
Minimalism is one of my current projects.  I keep moving stuff I'm not using to a back room and eventually throwing or giving it away.  Rooms that have been "done" look great!  But it's a long process.   I have so much cr@p.

Anybody want further discussion?

I know that you made this comment months ago, but by your comment and if you are anything like me, you are still trying to sift through your stuff.  If so, I know how you feel.  Books, games, older computer disks, hobbies, toys, sit up items, and so much other crap.  It is hard.  I have been trying to clean one room for each day of the week and look for stuff to give away while I clean.  When I have a trunk full, I take it off to Goodwill.  I took stuff off all last year and it has helped me not to buy as much as I did.  I try to ask myself when I'm shopping if maybe I will be carting off that item months from now.  It helps some.  I feel swallowed up in all my crap and much of it I can't or won't get rid of or I feel that I need it or will use it.  Some days all this crap makes me depressed and anxious and other days I use it and I'm happy.  I figure if I get rid of a little here and there that it will look better eventually and I find that I don't even think about the stuff I got rid of once it is gone or gone for a while.  I hope you are having success at getting your stuff under control to your liking. :smiley: