Author Topic: South African loner  (Read 163 times)

WightKnight

• Lurking Crowd
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To WightKnight
  • A/S/L : 36 Male Johannesburg
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: ISTP (The Mechanic)
  • My loner philosophy : Don't really have one
South African loner
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:09:22 PM »
Hello,

I've never been the type to join forums before, so this will be a new experience for me. I ended up here because of a sudden brainfart that led me to wonder if there was group or something where loners would share their experiences - and one Google search later, here I am.

I work as a journalist, mostly writing about a TV, but I have a regular side gig writing for the SA gaming website NAG Online.

My loner lifestyle is something that has progressed over the years. I've always enjoyed being alone to some degree, though lately it seems like it's heading to a sort of critical mass, to the point where I see what few friends I have maybe three or four times a year. The fact that my job requires me to go into the office only two days a week doesn't help.

Much like my social life, my hobbies used to be broader. I used to dabble in cartooning and martial arts and other stuff, but these days I just spend most of my time playing videogames.

I don't really have any trouble dealing with people and I don't feel uncomfortable or awkward when I'm with a friend, a group of friends, a crowd of strangers, or whatever... It's just not something I feel the need to seek out. In fact, friends and acquaintances like my snide sense of humour and usually did try to include me in activities - but I guess they gave that up as a lost cause years ago. I dunno. I just feel super tired most of the time, I guess.

One or two friends have remarked that they don't know how I stand the loneliness - but I guess if the loneliness actually bothered me, I'd be doing something about it. I guess that's what makes me a loner.

That's my in my present form. In a nutshell. So what up, fellow loners?

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kipperbang12
  • This whole "imaginary underground" got me thinking
  • A/S/L : 18/m/uk
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : loners are the cool ones ;)
  • Status Update: bug infested floorboards - can we leave this place now?
Re: South African loner
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 03:42:25 AM »
welcome to lc!

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:03:26 AM »
Welcome WightKnight.
I first read Lovecraft when I was about 14, in jr. high.  The Dunwich Horror, The Shadow Over Innsmouth and a number of other stories in a couple of anthologies from the Scholastic Book Service.  (Do they even print these kind of books for teenagers in school these days?)
I recently read The Dunwich Horror again and there are intriguing themes in his stories, but I can't say I'm really blown away by him.  I have so many friends who're fans though I thought I'd see if I could appreciate him.
Have you heard of Thomas Ligotti?  A very unusual person clearly influenced by Lovecraft.

WightKnight

• Lurking Crowd
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To WightKnight
  • A/S/L : 36 Male Johannesburg
  • Loner Personality: ISTP (The Mechanic)
  • My loner philosophy : Don't really have one
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:59 PM »
Thanks Jeremiah and Kipperbang.

With regards to HP Lovecraft, well, he's clearly a guy who wrote what he knew. This is very apparent if you know his life story. For me though, it's mostly his stories about unfathomable entities of godlike power coming from the furthest reaches of space that tickle me. I don't know why, I just like that kind of thing.

I've not heard of Thomas Ligotti before, but I will definitely look him up as soon as I'm done typing this reply. I've also been meaning to read works by authors who inspired Lovecraft, like Robert W Chambers, who wrote the King in Yellow, and of course Edgar Allan Poe, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

(I'm not entirely sure what you mean by scholastic book services, but if you mean anthologies of some kind, I think they still do that - though I'm not sure they'd consider Lovecraft school-level reading in any school I've ever been to these days)