login

Author Topic: Does anyone believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, or demons?  (Read 595 times)

Idonthaveausername

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Idonthaveausername
  • A/S/L : 18/Female/USA
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : Life Is a Journey. We live in a world where we love to judge but hate to be judged.
Does anyone believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, or demons?
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:08:01 AM »
One day, I would love to go ghost hunting and make it a hobby. I want to find out if ghost really exist. If ghost really exist, that would make me wonder what else is out there in the world. I have never seen a ghost or a demon before, but I am very curious to find out.

I have proposed a little theory about what may be out there: It is said that ghost have some sort of energy, right? Well what if this energy is not from a dead soul, but is perhaps another form of energy that we have yet to know about? Science puts a label on things that is not understood so that way it seems as though there is an understanding. However, we just have to face the fact that many things in the world will be left unknown. For example, is outer space infinite? If not, what is beyond outer space?

Have any of you had experience with ghost or some form of the paranormal? Please share and tell me what you think!

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
Re: Does anyone believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, or demons?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:33:52 AM »
A post I made on a thread on this forum a couple years ago:

Here's something I wrote in an APA (Amateur Press Association) 22 years ago:

Ouija Board Experiences

When I was 14, inspired by an episode of the television series The Waltons, I constructed a homemade ouija board. Not expecting to get anything out of it, but still enthused by the possibility, my siblings, cousins and friends decided to try it out. To our surprise and fascination, from the very first night, and over the next weeks and months, many eerie stories were spelled out, letter by letter, on this device, which we usually carefully recorded. But these are two of the more striking incidents we experienced:

To point out the letters on the ouija board, I had made a wooden eye, for "exotic effect". Once, when we wanted to use the board, we couldn't find this eye, so I shaped a piece of aluminum foil into the shape of any eye, to be used in the wooden one's place. We proceeded in the usual manner, asking "Spirit, are you there?". As usual, the answer was "yes", and we asked the usual questions: when were you born? when did you die? , etc. Among these questions was "What is your name?" The answer was spelled out: D U K E, Duke. We continued for a few minutes more. At one time, he had my two brothers move the pointer on their hands and knees across the floor, which was rather bizarre and eerie. Some time after returning to the board though, on the table, the entity gave the message: T U R N O V E R E Y E. My brothers, 10 and 12 at the time, complied. Clearly etched into the reverse side of the foil, which we hadn't looked at since we began, were the letters: D U K E. They were "handwritten", not imprinted from a pie tin or the like, as one skeptical person I told this to suggested. I had been watching and recording the conversation the whole time, watching every move my brothers made. I am more than satisfied there was no "slight of hand". Questioning them when they were adults, they maintained that they engaged in no trickery.

We designed the following experiment. We blindfolded the operators and turned the ouija board, which was circular, around several times, to ensure they couldn't guess where the letters were when operating it. Then we took a common household object, placed it on a nearby barstool, and asked, "What is the object on the stool?" For example, I put a tin can of vegetables on the stool, and the response was "S I L V E R, R O U N D". I put an ornate brass candlestick on the stool, and the response was, "F A N C Y, G O L D". Earlier, we tried asking it to identify playing cards, whether they were clubs, diamonds, aces, two's, etc. But there was never a correct identification with these. It couldn't seem to recognize two dimensional objects for some reason.

Unfortunately, we gave all our records to a neighbor we were friendly with, who offered to type them at her place of work. It turned out that she was a fundamentalist Christian, and we suspect she may have destroyed them. We weren't familiar enough at the time that giving them to someone of her religion would have jeopordized them.

These were the most dramatic "smoking gun" for me, but there were many other strange experiences that unfolded from our "ouija board experiments". At that time, I had strong skeptical/materialist leanings, but these experiences planted seeds of doubt in my mind about that metaphysical worldview.

It's hard to answer your question without going into a long and possibly boring digression about my personal theory on the nature of "belief", but I'll try to be brief.

As a Buddhist, yes I do believe in ghosts, demons, etc., though our cosmology is a little different than Christianity's.  Very similar in many ways, but not quite the same.

As a thinker, amateur philosopher and person with strange experiences, I believe in the good possibility of beings like ghosts etc., but I don't know for sure, so I'm also somewhat agnostic about them.

At this point in my life, after years of thought and reading about it, I suspect "Science", with all its achievements and rigor, is less absolute than people like Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, et al argue it is, but I could be wrong.  I don't feel any urgent need to answer these questions, though I explore them from time to time.  I've become much less "emotional" about the controversy than I used to be, and apparently many people still are.

emussel

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:37 PM »
I don't pretend to know whether these things exist....

However I have had one or two experiences of the paranormal ages ago....both were at age 18. One night I was working as a barista at a coffee shop closing up alone. One of the girls who worked there with me had reported seeing a dark shadowy figure walk by the door out in the hall one night that she claimed was a ghost. We, her coworkers, were skeptical passing it off as the result of her bi-polar disorder and copious amounts of mdma she used.

Well this one particular night I was there alone I heard heavy, clomping footsteps coming down the hall and thought it must be the manager of the jewelry store coming back to check on something....but when I looked to see who it was all I saw was this shadow in the shape of a man come into view and then fade into nothing. The footsteps stopped then.

Later that winter I was driving my girlfriend home during a blizzard when we passed a teenage girl wearing jean shorts and a white t-shirt stumbling along the side of an uninhabited back road. Her hair was abnormally long and her skin a pale white with a blank expression on her face. The sight of her freaked us both out but a minute down the road I decided we had to turn around to see if she needed help. But when we came back to where she was she was gone....I got out and had a look around but there were not even footprints in the snow where she had been walking. There were no houses on that stretch of road...only woods and a walled cemetery.

I stopped and called the police that night to report our sighting of this stumbling girl as I was worried that she'd gone and passed out in the snow somewhere. The dispatcher gave me an attitude and accused me of making a prank call but eventually when pressed said they'd send a cruiser out to investigate. That's all I ever heard of it....no body was found in the woods....nothing.

I don't know whether this was indeed a paranormal experience....but I've never been able to explain it. Again I don't pretend to know for sure whether these things indeed exist outside our minds....even when experienced with another person. Neither do I pretend to understand the nature of such things....all I know is that I have had one or two experiences with such phenomena.

Idonthaveausername

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • My loner philosophy : Life Is a Journey. We live in a world where we love to judge but hate to be judged.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:11:03 AM »
I don't pretend to know whether these things exist....

However I have had one or two experiences of the paranormal ages ago....both were at age 18. One night I was working as a barista at a coffee shop closing up alone. One of the girls who worked there with me had reported seeing a dark shadowy figure walk by the door out in the hall one night that she claimed was a ghost. We, her coworkers, were skeptical passing it off as the result of her bi-polar disorder and copious amounts of mdma she used.

Well this one particular night I was there alone I heard heavy, clomping footsteps coming down the hall and thought it must be the manager of the jewelry store coming back to check on something....but when I looked to see who it was all I saw was this shadow in the shape of a man come into view and then fade into nothing. The footsteps stopped then.

Later that winter I was driving my girlfriend home during a blizzard when we passed a teenage girl wearing jean shorts and a white t-shirt stumbling along the side of an uninhabited back road. Her hair was abnormally long and her skin a pale white with a blank expression on her face. The sight of her freaked us both out but a minute down the road I decided we had to turn around to see if she needed help. But when we came back to where she was she was gone....I got out and had a look around but there were not even footprints in the snow where she had been walking. There were no houses on that stretch of road...only woods and a walled cemetery.

I stopped and called the police that night to report our sighting of this stumbling girl as I was worried that she'd gone and passed out in the snow somewhere. The dispatcher gave me an attitude and accused me of making a prank call but eventually when pressed said they'd send a cruiser out to investigate. That's all I ever heard of it....no body was found in the woods....nothing.

I don't know whether this was indeed a paranormal experience....but I've never been able to explain it. Again I don't pretend to know for sure whether these things indeed exist outside our minds....even when experienced with another person. Neither do I pretend to understand the nature of such things....all I know is that I have had one or two experiences with such phenomena.

The second story sounds like you had an encounter with a hitch hiker ghost. If you give them a ride, then he/she will take you to their home and leave something in the car with you as she/he gets out. Then when you knock on the turn, it turns out that only his/her relatives live their and he/she passed away. Now since you told me the story, I wonder what would have happened if you took her for a ride....

In your first story, that was a shadow person or it was a ghost of someone who died. You said that it was a man walking, I am assuming that he probably did not have a menacing aura about him. I look into these paranormal activities (as you can tell..lol) because I find them interesting. I will not believe them nor disbelief them until I have had an experience of my own.

Technically speaking, there will always be paranormal activity because as humans, we must face the fact that we can't know everything. Just because there are things WE cannot explain, that does not mean that they are not real or that they cannot happen or that it is really "paranormal" because our views are limited as to what constitutes as normal or not normal in our physical world. Hmmm.... I have an idea for a new topic...

Any replies are welcomed :)

EdgeCrusher

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
I do not. I have never seen anything like that. I also find it convenient that once the video camera was invented, "legitimate" instances of these things seemed to drop significantly. There is no conclusive evidence to suggest that anything like these things exist.

Angels and demons are religious and so I definitely don't think those exists. As for ghosts/spirits, I would say that if something like that exists the most logical thing to assume is that it is some kind of energy or something similar. They say energy never dissipates, but only changes forms. Perhaps there is something after death but it is in no way what we think it is. Who knows. I just know that I have yet to see anything to make me believe there is or to hear a convincing argument for it.
I'd rather have a mind open with wonder, than one closed with belief.
You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same.

Idonthaveausername

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:30:31 AM »
Edgecrusher: Yeah, I was thinking the same. Since energy changes form, perhaps the "paranormal stuff" comes from an energy of that person. An energy that we have yet to understand, nor do I think we will ever understand it.