Author Topic: mirror aversion  (Read 465 times)

emussel

mirror aversion
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:11 AM »
Anyone ever experienced mirror aversion?

When I was sixteen I went through a period of time in which I could not look in a mirror, it wasn't anything about the way I looked, I looked good but it was my eyes, the fact that that face was me. I don't know, I'd had a few psychedelic experiences during that time and it could have been that...nowadays I have no problem with mirrors. Anyone have any of that mirror anxiety?

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
Re: mirror aversion
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:30:42 AM »
As I've written here before, I've got body dysmorphic traits, so I'm competely the opposite.  I check mirrors and reflective surfaces many times a day to see what I look like.  Depending on the mirror and where it's situated with respect to the light source, sometimes I look terrible, sometimes I look great.  What I look like in them effects my mood.

But little by little, more and more often, I've been resisting the impulse to check mirrors, because I don't want to deal with what I might see.  I'm trying get over the obsession, to rise above it, but I've only scratched the surface, and I don't know if I ever will.

I traded zines with somebody once 5 or so years ago, who had an extreme phobia of mirrors.  This was for real.  Not a joke.  He had the same terror of them that others have of water of elevators.  He mentioned the silent movie The Student of Prague, which I think may have had this mirror-phobia as its main theme, but of course, with a supernatural element as well.  I bought and watched both silent versions, and as I usually do all silent movies, I enjoyed them very much.

Katrina

Re: mirror aversion
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:24:29 AM »
Well I usually don't mind looking into the mirror when I'm getting ready to go out or something, but somedays I get up and I just don't feel like looking in the mirror. Usually happens when I'm down or depressed about other things.