imagelogin

Author Topic: An older person joining  (Read 860 times)

tumbleweed

An older person joining
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
... and I spent so much time playing with the icons, that's all I'm going to say.
 /panic

Really, I should at least say hi. Hello there. I hope this post looks okay. I'm a harmless little almost-old lady living in the southern USA. I've been a loner off and on all my life.

Hylton

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 781 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Hylton
  • A/S/L : english
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Illegitimi non carborundum
Re: An older person joining
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »
Hey. How's it going?

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:49:06 PM »
Welcome tumbleweed,
In real life I tend to be very alienated too, but I've found some measure of community in "zines" and recently Internet forums.  Hope this place becomes a friendly place to come to when you feel the need for some company.

LiB

• LC Addict
  • 100100 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To LiB
  • A/S/L : 26/m
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: ISFJ (The Nurturer)
  • My loner philosophy : Live life let live.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:14:24 AM »
Hi tumbleweed. Welcome to LC. /hippie

emussel

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:44:14 AM »
Welcome tumbleweed... /howdy

Faaip De Oiad

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:25:21 AM »
It's goin' pretty well, thanks!
...and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »
I came back.   I'm  62 years old now.  I keep trying the social life, but I'm easily bored and end up wanting to get on with my various solitary projects, which are intensely fascinating, to me anyway.

Fortunately, in my social spells, I back out and disappear before anyone has had time to start depending on me for anything.

Yet one needs a little exchange of ideas to stay real, if you know what I mean.

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 08:50:29 AM »
Hello again!  Glad to see you back!
I "socialize" through forums like these, zines, letters and very, very rarely, in real life.  I'm still trying to expand my real-life socializing just a little more but it's not going that well, probably for the same reasons yours aren't.  It's strange, people seem less interesting in real life than they are in forums, etc.   Maybe I'm a bit too picky.

griffin

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To griffin
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Drifting along
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 12:42:25 PM »
Welcome back!
I enjoy working on personal projects sometimes although Knowing me I often start working on something and end up dropping it the next day..

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 12:29:17 AM »
Welcome Tumbleweed!

/hug2

tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
And I'm back again!  Told you I was a tumbleweed, or is it a bad penny? 

I tried the social life again.  I think I've finally realized that neither way is perfect.  However, being alone is more flexible, and telling people goodbye when I realize again that I'm not really into socializing is very unpleasant.  Maybe I can stay a loner from now on and make the most of it. 

There are 2 people, who like weird people and never try to "fix" me, that I'm in occasional contact with. I talk to anybody who talks to me, for maybe 5 minutes--this will happen about 1 to 5 times a week. It feels like enough.   

Looks like a lot of the old regulars are still on here.  It also looks like more posts would be good.  So here I am.  :)

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 06:39:32 AM »
Welcome back again tumbleweed.

I joined a Meetup group about a month ago.  It's mainly for Jordan Peterson enthusiasts.  I'm interested in some of the ideas Peterson talks about, and I don't hate him like many people do, but I'm not quite a "fan" either.  (It seems like people either love him or hate him.)  I just joined for some intellectual discussion, which I like now and then, and thought maybe I'd find an activity/project friend or two.  (I haven't, but I'm not crushed .)  About 2/3 or more are younger than I am, and I tend to get left out of the convo.  Nobody's rude or anything, I'm just not aggressive and I'm not in their culture.  They've started to have them later in the evening, and my brain starts shutting down about 5, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to participate in the future.

For the last few years I've done some running with an 82-year-old man.  He's legally blind, but fit and active.  He has two tandem bicycles. an upright and a reclining.  I've been on a ride with him on the latter, and plan to go on another in a day or two.  My worry is that we're going to get run over or go over a hillside and get either or both of us killed, mainly due to my own incompetence.  I've suggested a local paved bike trail, but he likes the highway curb.  The left turns really make me nervous.  But hey, I guess we're both crazy, so what the hell.... 

Rambler

• Lurking Crowd
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Rambler
  • A/S/L : 68/M/PNW
  • I am : Loner Stoner
  • Loner Personality: ISTJ (The Duty Fulfiller)
  • My loner philosophy : I'm friendly to all but that doesn't mean I want to spend any time with you
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 11:54:11 PM »
Hi Tumbleweed, Another Loner here but rarely visit this site cause I have my personal projects etc too. Anyway Welcome!

tumbleweed

Belated Hi Back to Rambler
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 05:01:19 AM »
You still on here?

I tried once again with people for a few months.  I think it takes a shorter and shorter time to realize that nah, it's not going to work.  So many things don't fit. 

I enjoy the spontaneous conversations with strangers that happen when you're both, for example, looking at the same books in the bookstore.  Here, too, sometimes.  Maybe it's the lack of expectations.  Maybe it's that you can come and go at will.  Maybe it's that on the forum there are some original ideas, or some honesty--hard to come by out there.

sunlight_hope

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »
Hello, everyone !
Have a nice day !