Author Topic: Are you afraid of the dark?  (Read 992 times)

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Mystic Cow
  • A/S/L : 25,M, USA
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • My loner philosophy : Look alive
Are you afraid of the dark?
« on: April 07, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »
A long time ago, when I've been too preoccupied to turn on the lights after the sun sets, I've realized that I really like working in a dark room. This may be due to my ADHD, but I find it easier to concentrate. It's also more calming and relaxing for some reason. One of my favorite rituals is to listen to "Ode to Joy" or another classical piece while doing work in the dark.

In general, I'm not afraid of the dark. The worst thing that's ever happened to me was I cut my knee on a coffee table while maneuvering in the dark, but since then I've gotten better at walking through dark rooms. I suspect that part of this may be from being a loner, and perhaps you guys feel the same way.

Noether

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 5000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Noether
  • A/S/L : 29/F/ The shadowlands beyond Asshai
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
Re: Are you afraid of the dark?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:22 AM »
I am not afraid of the dark per se, and I am not afraid in a dark room, but a dark forest creeps me out, although, as I've always been told, there are the same things at night than by day. Darkness covers it all in mystery, and the imagination takes wings. A dark room I like. I can't work if I don't see, but I like to sit quietly in a dark room. And if a flatmate has walked in on me sometime they have found it weird, I don't think it's a loner thing though.

emussel

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:09 AM »
Nope...not afraid of the dark at all. I used to go snowshoeing in the woods at night, I had a headlamp of course to light the way...even took a date with me once. Though the woods at night creeps me out a little I admit. The only times I've ventured into the woods at night without a light to see was when I was either drunk or on speed which removes all fear...ended up with scratches all over me from the branches but what did I care? I enjoy the night...especially summer nights. As a teenager I used to frequent cemeteries at night...even slept in one on a few occasions. The dark makes me feel alive, though these days it's rare for me to be up past 11pm.

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:16:21 AM »
I am not afraid of the dark per se, and I am not afraid in a dark room, but a dark forest creeps me out, although, as I've always been told, there are the same things at night than by day. Darkness covers it all in mystery, and the imagination takes wings. A dark room I like. I can't work if I don't see, but I like to sit quietly in a dark room. And if a flatmate has walked in on me sometime they have found it weird, I don't think it's a loner thing though.

Hmmm good point. I've told this story so many times, but when I was in middle school, I was walking in a park trail with my dog, and there was someone following me (like stalking). That was in the middle of the day, but I see your point.

Taiho

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 40000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Taiho
  • I return from the Void.
  • A/S/L : 26, Male, Tasmania
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : I will carry the Banner till I can no more.
  • Status Update: Hold your head up high.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
I'm not afraid of the dark, far from it, I actually find it comforting. What I am afraid of is the figures your mind comes up with then you see in the dark, the dark outlines and solid shapes could be anything, you know?
Sailing through the Sea of Stars.

ThePasserBy

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To ThePasserBy
  • A/S/L : 19, female
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : All of mankind's problems come from his inability to sit in a quiet room alone.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
I love the darkness, makes me feel like there is only me and my breath in God's lovely world. Makes me think of Ruskin Bond, "we three, we're not a crowd, not even company, my echo, my shadow and me."

koenigsegg

• Adult Filter OFF
  • Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To koenigsegg
  • A/S/L : 17/M/NY
  • Loner Personality: ISTP (The Mechanic)
  • My loner philosophy : When feeling lonely, just eat in front of a mirror.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:30 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm afraid of the dark, but I definitely don't like it. Unless I'm out in my backyard lying on the trampoline with blankets and pillows, looking up in the millions of stars in the sky. Hell. I just might do that tonight!  :cool:

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »
If I'm in a totally dark room at night, trying to sleep, I'm not so much afraid, but just feel a sense of claustrophobia, especially if it's a hot night.  I'm used to just a little light, but not too much.

Walking through the woods at night in the dark can be dangerous.  This is when the predators come out to hunt or forage.  Moose are more dangerous I've read than bear or mountain lions.  They see us better than we see them.  I suppose the risk is very small, but encounters do happen.

emussel

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
There are no bears where I come from and moose are extremely rare. It's a suburban area. Though I did used to snowshoe at night while living on a farm out in western Massachusetts where there was the occasional bear sighting. It really didn't bother me in the least. Never saw one.

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
If I'm in a totally dark room at night, trying to sleep, I'm not so much afraid, but just feel a sense of claustrophobia, especially if it's hot night.  I'm used to just a little light, but not too much.

Walking through the woods at night in the dark can be dangerous.  This is when the predators come out to hunt or forage.  Moose are more dangerous I've read than bear or mountain lions.  They see us better than we see them.  I suppose the risk is very small, but encounters do happen.

Good point. We tend to forget about that, because we for the most part are guaranteed a roof under our heads. Now that I think about it, I think like that too. It's just that I consider criminals my predators. Unlikely of happening, but I'd rather not take the chance.

KASINI

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To KASINI
  • We're all crazy, it's just a matter of degree....
  • A/S/L : 52/M/Nevada
  • Loner Personality: INFP (The Idealist)
  • My loner philosophy : Yes
  • Status Update: Anticipating...
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 12:20:10 PM »
My house has been broken into 3 times since 1999.  I am alone in the house.  I should get a dog, or have a baseball bat near my front door...but it's been ok for the past several years.  Last night someone lit off an M-80 out in the street, bit of a shock.  The police copter flies overhead once every other week or so...a few months ago I woke up at 3 am to the sound of what I initially thought was a man and woman down in the street who had driven up and parked right under my window and were now having a domestic argument.  Then what I thought was the man, pushed the woman and tried to drag her back to the car.  I called the police.  3 or 4 cruisers came fairly quickly with search lights blazing and radios squawking.  They arrested the man, because he had a warrant.  Then one of the officers came to my door and explained that what I thought was a man was actually a woman, a woman beating up another woman...right under my window.  I'm usually ok at night but these kind of things shake me up a bit.  I'm not afraid of the dark, I am afraid of crazy people doing crazy things.  Well, I am guess I am afraid of black widow spiders in my garage who are active at night, and somehow putting my  hand near where they might be....

Idonthaveausername

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Idonthaveausername
  • A/S/L : 18/Female/USA
  • My loner philosophy : Life Is a Journey. We live in a world where we love to judge but hate to be judged.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 01:36:37 AM »
For me it's not about being afraid of dark itself but its WHAT IS IN THE DARK that matters. That, is what I fear. I am afraid that I might see something that I don't want to see or perhaps be unable to see something that I need to see (someone breaking in, a zombie, etc). Basically, its ignorance as to what is in the dark that I fear.