login

Author Topic: What is writing for you?  (Read 823 times)

Penelope

• LC Regular
  • 80000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Penelope
  • A/S/L : 54/F/Ukraine
  • I am : Social Misfit Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTP (The Thinker)
  • My loner philosophy : I haven't found any wisdom pill yet.
What is writing for you?
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:08:19 AM »
I'd like to know what's the meaning and importance of writing in your life. Do you write only on forums? Do you make up stories? Do you write to enjoy the pleasure of sharing? Do you think written words allow a different kind of communication? Do you consider writing a means of self-knowledge and/or improvement? Looking forward to reading your answers and questions.

emussel

Re: What is writing for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »
I write only on this forum at this point in time. What is writing to me? It's therapeutic really, a way to express what's in my mind and receive feedback, much needed interaction and expressive release. I've written here about things I've rarely if ever talked about with anybody. It's a good way to get things off my chest so to speak.

Well...gotta go, people's wanting me to go bowling with them and they'll be here in five minutes. I'll come back and finish this later.

koenigsegg

• Adult Filter OFF
  • Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To koenigsegg
  • A/S/L : 17/M/NY
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: ISTP (The Mechanic)
  • My loner philosophy : When feeling lonely, just eat in front of a mirror.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:01:03 AM »
I only write in forums, and rarely in a Notepad, on my computer. For me, it gives me reminder that people do care about others, but those people are rare. I take my chances to share with others.  /hugs  :confused:

And like emussel, it somewhat gives me a therapeutic sensation.

Voxtrot

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Addict
  • 33390 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Voxtrot
  • A/S/L : 27/F
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: INFJ (The Protector)
  • My loner philosophy : Do something useful with your life, yes please thank you.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:19:10 AM »
I'd like to know what's the meaning and importance of writing in your life.

A habit. A skill. Something I do to keep sane. A form of expression. A goal I work towards. One of the most important things in my life, even though I don't make a living from it. Yet.  :cheesy:

Do you write only on forums?

No. Forum writing is a certain kind of something, but I don't really consider it 'writing'. I just consider it meeting people and talking, as weird as that sounds. I worry about the construction of a forum persona through what I write... Because in forums I try to be as direct and honest as possible, but I know it's always skewed by the words I choose and how people interpret them. So there's always something lost in translation, even if there's been no actual translation.

Do you make up stories?

Yes. In my head. All the time. The best of them I write down and work into something that is hopefully of value. But actually... I don't consider them made up. More like pre-existing things: snapshots, colours, memories, impressions. They are all real, even if they're not physically real.

Do you write to enjoy the pleasure of sharing?

Sometimes. I'm careful who I share with because I know my writing is very odd and while I'm still forming my voice, I don't really need people asking questions and adding to my self-doubt. I have a couple people who I share work with on a regular basis and it's healthy for me to do that. Also I can read their work and try to learn from what they're doing.

Once/if I can share with a wider audience and disown myself a little bit from this thing I have created... Then yes. I will take pleasure from that. Even if it comes with criticism.

Do you think written words allow a different kind of communication?

Yes. It is less direct than other forms of expression. It depends how you use it. Everyone has a special relationship to words and the message they want to convey. I think sometimes the written word is more deceiving than other forms of expression. There are so many layers and voices and stories you can hide behind.

Do you consider writing a means of self-knowledge and/or improvement?

I consider it a way to connect with my intuition and constantly explore my feelings about certain things. Also it's a way for me to put my imagination to good use and develop a skill and appreciate the work of other people. I believe reading a lot is just as important as writing a lot.

Looking forward to reading your answers and questions.

/hugs
“Many homicidal lunatics are very quiet, unassuming people. Delightful fellows.”  Agatha Christie

LiB

• LC Addict
  • 100100 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To LiB
  • A/S/L : 26/m
  • Loner Personality: ISFJ (The Nurturer)
  • My loner philosophy : Live life let live.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:31 AM »
I know Voxtrot loves to write.  :cheesy:

Writing is therapeutic for me, helps me to vent and clear my mind. Like emussel. I write here and in the diary mostly in English but it isn't my native so I do have problems to comprehend and translate it properly.

emussel

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:52 AM »
Do I make up stories? Yes and no, sort of like Voxtrot said the fiction I write if and when I ever write fiction isn't something I've really made up it's more or less a theme of things that already exist in my mind. I might twist or add to whats there in my head but I'm really not creating anything from scratch. Do I consider myself a writer? No. Although I've written a few good works in my past like one assignment I had for a sociology class when I was 17. We had to interview somebody in our hometown and write about it. I didn't feel like finding somebody to interview so I made up a story about drinking with an old homeless guy in an historic cemetery down the street from where I grew up. It wasn't entirely fiction as I'd drank with dozens of homeless men and women in that cemetery. So I just created a character who embodied the lives and stories of all the strange people I'd met in that cemetery. The professor gave me an A+ on that assignment. So yes I can write, it's something that comes far more naturally to me than lets say, math. But I don't profess to be great at it.
Do I enjoy the pleasure of sharing what I've written? Not in the past, that's something that used to cause great anxiety for me. I'd be up all night writing a paper and the next day I'd be questioning the sanity of what I had written and then fail to turn it in because of that anxiety. However I do enjoy sharing the little writing I do on this forum. Like I said it's therapeutic. And now that I'm sober I find that I don't regret or question things that I've shared by far as much as in the past. However interesting those substance fueled posts may have been to some. I don't know. Sometimes I go back and read my diary entries from months ago and it really brings me back and gives me a good perspective on my recent past and where I am today. I do enjoy writing but I do far less of it than I could be doing.

Faaip De Oiad

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:02:59 AM »
I don't write. I post on this forum and that's about it, I find it to be therapeutic and on some occasions it can be just another medium for me to exert my selfishness.
...and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not.

Hylton

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 781 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Hylton
  • A/S/L : english
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »
I do that too
it's an excuse to be narcissistic, and a chance to use words like narcissistic, which isn't something I'd usually be able to pronounce. Or spell

only time I really write is at work, doing brief emails

ThisChick

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
Writing helps me a lot, in many ways.
For therapeutic purposes it helps me clear my mind also helps me understand why I feel the way I do and to think about a situation before I act upon it while I am overwhelmed with some type of negative emotion.
And to express my feelings! Write poems about loss, gain, love, emotions, while trying my best to be metaphoric all over the computer. :P  lol and Forums, well. I have to say this has been my first couple of posts in a few years. Interesting to be online like this again.

Noether

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 5000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Noether
  • A/S/L : 29/F/ The shadowlands beyond Asshai
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
The way my brain works, sometimes it takes a while from the moment I form a thought to the moment I can utter it, like in my brain there is a gap between my thoughts and the words people use to express themselves, and they need some time to bridge it, that is one of the reasons it is so dificult for me to have a conversation. When I am writing I feel like the gap grows smaller, perhaps because it is smaller since the part where the word has to come out of my mouth is erased, perhaps also because I feel more relaxed and I don't feel the pressure as much to give a fast response. Also I think written words are truer than spoken ones, as you can go over them until they express what you really mean (although that requires some skill and actually knowing what you really mean wich isn't always the case). They too last longer. As voxtrot said, I don't consider this forum writing proper writing, just a way to communicate that is more suited to my particular habilities (or shortcomings) than spoken word. My personal writing, on my diary and my 'stories' I do only for myself, is not a form of comunication or sharing, if it is it's comunication with myself. I don't consider it therapeutic, either, just the way I speak. Besides I love words, and I love playing with them, as Hylton said, some words you use in writting you don't use in speaking, I enjoy using outdated words and oddly constructed sentences(always within the boundaries of grammar (maybe  not in english since I don't know all the boundaries of it's grammar)), and images. I love metaphores.

Penelope

• LC Regular
  • 80000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Penelope
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
I consider "writing" every kind of writing, also writing on forums. I write only on forums and regularly email to very few people. In my opinion people who feel at ease writing about themselves have a different attitude toward reality, and a deeper, often more problematic, sometimes painful perception, that I find much more interesting. For me writing has always been the most suitable and effective way to communicate. And communication can be therapeutical, a means of self-knowledge and therefore improvement. As Noether says, communication by spoken words is too fast, and, in my view, more superficial. I feel overstimulated, prompted to react immediately, without thinking and feeling deep enough. It's like being forced to breathlessly swim on the surface, while you want to slowly search the bottom.
A shortcoming, inasmuch the majority who populate the planet (stop procreating, please, listen to Nihil!) communicate by speaking. A shortcoming for loners.

Nihil

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Nihil
  • Just a nobody.
  • A/S/L : 22yr old Dude from Belgium
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : People suck
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 09:52:21 PM »
I don't do much writing besides on forums. I feel i'm very inadequate at it and never get my thoughts properly expressed.

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • I am : Nerdy Loner
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
I only got on the Internet and after some reluctance when I was 43, 11 years ago.  Before that I was in an obscure subculture called "zines" and "amateur journalism".  I wrote and self-published zines and fanzines.  Even though I've barely been published, I consider myself a writer.  That may seem ridiculous and self-important to many, but I make no apology.

Yes, written words allow more time to word your thoughts carefully, to think about them, to edit and polish.  I go back and forth on whether I prefer face-to-face communication to writing.  Sometimes I feel f2f, spoken communication is easier, more spontaneous and sometimes I feel writing is.  I guess it depends on my frame of mind, my mood at any given time.  I do see value in talking, and can be surprisingly articulate at it---my thoughts can really flow---other times I can barely put a subject and a verb together.

To me, whether I write on a blog, a forum, an e-mail, a letter on paper, an APA-zine (Google amateur press association) I consider it important and always intend to print it out and save it.  It all consists of sort of an on-going, amorphous journal of my life and thought.  Sometimes I feel my Internet posts are "inappropriately long and formal", that they belong to a pre-Internet age of style.

Before I got on the Internet to post on forums or blogs, or used a computer to write off-line, or even a wordprocessor (which I did for years), I wrote in longhand and on a typewriter.  (I still do sometimes.)  I've suspected that even these types of writing machines subtly affect the quality of ones thought-flow, but I don't know for sure.

Like a lot on this thread, writing is a form of therapy for me.  I started a diary/journal when I was 13, kept it up, off and on, til my early or mid 20's, then when I got into amateur journals and zines, pretty much put it aside.  Soon, I'm going start a journal again.  I'm going to write it off-line on my computer, but of course print it out intermittently.

I wrote some stories in school---grade, jr. high, sr. high, and have a few rough ones that've been in my head for a while, but I don't know if they'll ever be written.  That's due to procrastination more than anything else, and also my changing emotional life.

Writing helps me think and clarify my thoughts.  Thoughts, ideas, are tools to weather life's storm.  It's been very, very important to me, all my life.

GlitchInTheGrid

• Adult Filter OFF
  • Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To GlitchInTheGrid
  • A/S/L : 22/M/U.S
  • I am : Romantic Loner
  • My loner philosophy : Trust carefully, observe constantly, love quietly.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:25:12 AM »
Writing to me is the translation of the thoughts in your head. Programming code for the mind and soul, allowing any fantasy to come to life. Disc drives containing the thoughts and dreams of those long dead.  I've always been an avid reader and to witness the world that a writer has built in your imagination out of nothing but words is nothing less but amazing. I wish I had written more during my formative years, but I guess I was distracted by other things. I used to write short stories, and it's something I'm finally beginning to rekindle the fire for. I suppose I do like the idea of someone generating their own thoughts because of something I've written. A way to reach others, even if they never know of you in the real world.

Mystic Cow

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 2012 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Mystic Cow
  • A/S/L : 25,M, USA
  • My loner philosophy : Look alive
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »
Great topic. I used to want to be a writer, but it's just not something I'm interested in right now. I've written a truckload of poems, a short story, and maybe 1/20th of a novel. While I can't speak much about writing, I love poetry. I truly believe it is the writing equivalent of a painting. When I write poetry, it feels like I infuse the poetry with a piece of my soul. Sometimes that fragment is a part of me that I never knew I had. It's enlightening, and really that's why I've written so many poems.

Post Merge: April 08, 2013, 08:51:02 AM
I also have a blog or two, but again I'm just not that interested in writing at the moment.

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
If I'm not reading or watching movies I'm writing in my journal. Every few years I get a wild hair and write a short story.

The last SS I wrote was a horror piece based on a nightmare I had. It was extremely disturbing, so I haven't written any SS since then.

I've also been posting in a number of fora since about 1997 when they were still called bulletin boards.
History . . . is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake.

abstractx1

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To abstractx1
  • Alone
  • A/S/L : 25/M/UK
  • My loner philosophy : Just be you, and forget what other people think. You know what is best deep down.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 07:29:11 AM »
I use writing to connect with people. The only connections I make are online, so I have to communicate my dreams, hopes and fears... me, through text

My writing is a way to paint what I am feeling. It is like music without sound.

davina1221

• Lurking Crowd
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To davina1221
  • A/S/L : 46/F/TN
  • I am : Insecure Loner
  • My loner philosophy : One can hear many things in silence; it can be deafening or healing depending on what you are experiencing.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »
I would like to be a writer.  I have jotted down many ideas and have many book ideas.  Sometimes the ideas come faster than I can write.  I have written some pieces for books.  I wrote a play years ago that was acted out.  I haven't done much in this area in a long time, but I am currently setting up a work space and getting in the mood.  Joining this site and choosing to embrace being a loner is also a step in the right direction as well.

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kipperbang12
  • This whole "imaginary underground" got me thinking
  • A/S/L : 18/m/uk
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : loners are the cool ones ;)
  • Status Update: bug infested floorboards - can we leave this place now?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »
for me, it's quite literally the first thing that pops into my head if i have a pen in my hand. I play a show with a language manipulating poet recently, here's the recording:
https://crushtime.bandcamp.com/track/yol-hyg

Book

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 500000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Book
  • M O D E R A T O R
  • I am : Extreme Loner (i'm here neither to make friends nor enemies)
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 06:51:09 AM »
What is writing for you?
    Collecting pens
    Collecting pencils
    Collecting erasers
    Collecting paper and notebooks of all kinds
    Writing, writing, writing no matter how inane, to purge the garbage
    Journaling to capture the quality content
    Editing same
    Reading everything I can get my hands on to learn the language and its nuances
    Using that knowledge to produce quality content

For me, it's a very specific process, rigorous and disciplined and, rarely, enjoyable. Still, overall, satisfying.

Book /read
History . . . is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake.

Angel Embrace

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Angel Embrace
  • Love is my home
  • A/S/L : 22/F/In Dreams
  • I am : Sad Loner
  • Loner Personality: INFP (The Idealist)
  • My loner philosophy : Find who you are and what makes you happy on the inside. Be nice to others and respective of their own path.
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 05:52:19 AM »
I used to love writing stories a few years back =D

I like writing now to express myself personally because in speech, I suck at it  :cry:
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~ Romans 12:2

griffin

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To griffin
  • My loner philosophy : Drifting along
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:15:53 PM »
Writing is fun and helps me think about stuff I feel by putting it into words.

LorriePaige

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To LorriePaige
  • Vegan Hindu
  • A/S/L : 56/F/Oregon
  • My loner philosophy : Be your own BFF. (quote made by me)
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 05:54:33 AM »
Very important. It's how I express myself best.

I'm currently writing two books: A memoir, and a book of my own original quotes.

Plus, I host a small writing group offline; we meet at a local cafe.

ilovepitou

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 11:16:13 PM »
Do you write only on forums? I don't write much in general, but pretty much all of the writing I do is on the internet or on a phone.
Do you make up stories? Not really.
Do you write to enjoy the pleasure of sharing? Like sharing my emotions? I guess. I do have to be pretty darn close to you to be comfortable with it.
Do you think written words allow a different kind of communication? A more thought out kind, yes.
Do you consider writing a means of self-knowledge and/or improvement? yes

I want to add that the main way writing helps me is I often text my boyfriend how I feel, because that's the easiest way for me to process my thoughts and feelings. I have plenty of time. Finally texting my thoughts solidates them. Before I text my thoughts are usually floating around and don't have many connections with each other, but once I start sorting through them while texting, they start to make sense. I don't immediately understand my emotions when I first experience them. I file them away for later to sort through them when I alone. Texting allows me to "talk" to someone while since being alone which is the really the only way I get in the mindset of processing my thoughts. Also, once I'm with my boyfriend, my more negative emotions go to the back of my head. It is hard to feel that way when I'm with him, so I don't. I also feel a lot more under pressure when talking directly to people IRL.

Penelope

• LC Regular
  • 80000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Penelope
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
Hi, everybody. I started this topic more than five years ago. I've not been logging for a long time. And I've come back on here, today, to write. This is writing to me,today: looking for a sense of belonging somewhere, I mean, where people share their awareness of not belonging. Coming back to this forum, today, and write, is like verifying that I'm not  an alien, or not the only alien, in this world: there are other loners who are aware of their condition and want to write about it. Not to complain, get pitied or criticize the sociable and the unaware. Just for the pleasure of overcoming gaps by a shared feeling. 

Kipperbang12

• Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kipperbang12
  • This whole "imaginary underground" got me thinking
  • A/S/L : 18/m/uk
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : loners are the cool ones ;)
  • Status Update: bug infested floorboards - can we leave this place now?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 05:18:10 AM »
i write a lot of poetry and lyrics (i can link some of my bands and projects if you want!) and my writings mostly come out of bus journeys or sad states i'm in!

jeremiah

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 150000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To jeremiah
  • A/S/L : 61/male/WA
  • My loner philosophy : Long is the night with the fool.
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 01:51:40 AM »
Nice to hear from you again Penelope.  i think I maybe slowly starting to accept and get comfortable with my alienation, but I know I've still got some hard stretches ahead, so I'm careful not to get too complacent about things.  Hope you're enjoying life in the Ukraine.

crimsmcgee

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 08:53:39 PM »
Hey guys. First post!
I wrote a lot of ideas.

It's unimportant. I think I'd rather make games to be honest

It would be neat to get back into poetry.