login

Author Topic: Anyone else ever hopped a train?  (Read 771 times)

emussel

Anyone else ever hopped a train?
« on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:19 AM »
I grew up down the street from a freight yard and when I was 14 I got into hitching rides on the freight trains. It was soooo much fun to hide in the bushes as it approached and then make a good run for it and hop on for a ride. My girlfriend and I used to do it, I have fond memories of sitting with her on the very top of a moving freight car watching the sun set. I bet we cut quite the profile from the vantage point of passersby on the roads.
I also know someone who recently visited me from New York who got into hopping trains last year and has already logged more than 4000 miles of traveling on them. He's 34...I myself feel a little too old to be hopping trains but every time I hear a whistle blow I yearn for a ride.

juliana

• LC Regular
  • 10 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To juliana
  • A/S/L : 26/F/INDONESIA
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: ISTP (The Mechanic)
  • My loner philosophy : Language has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone.
  • Status Update: A negative mind will never give you a positive life ;)
Re: Anyone else ever hopped a train?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »
No, it's too dangerous for me.

Nihil

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Nihil
  • Just a nobody.
  • A/S/L : 22yr old Dude from Belgium
  • I am : Social Misfit Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : People suck
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
That's quite something.

Never done that and I doubt I ever will. I don't even know where to find those old fashioned trains these days.

And yeah it sounds rather dangerous, no offense.

juliana

• LC Regular
  • 10 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To juliana
  • A/S/L : 26/F/INDONESIA
  • Loner Personality: ISTP (The Mechanic)
  • My loner philosophy : Language has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone.
  • Status Update: A negative mind will never give you a positive life ;)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »
I don't even know where to find those old fashioned trains these days.
Not common in europe or asia, maybe..

Nihil

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Nihil
  • Just a nobody.
  • A/S/L : 22yr old Dude from Belgium
  • I am : Social Misfit Loner
  • Loner Personality: INTJ (The Scientist)
  • My loner philosophy : People suck
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:08:22 AM »
Nope, not at all.

idyll

• Adult Filter OFF
  • Drifter
  • 0 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To idyll
  • A/S/L : 27/Male/Ohio
  • I am : Just a Loner by Choice
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:33:18 AM »
That's awesome Emussel. I personally haven't but have thought about it thousands of times. Have paid for a train, hitched a car ride, but never jumped a train. It sounds like fun though, just for the experience once. It used to be a lifestyle for some people, probably still is. Tramps. ;)

Next time i'm in NH you bring the expertise, i'll bring some encouragement and we'll jump one.  :smiley:

LiB

• LC Addict
  • 100100 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To LiB
  • A/S/L : 26/m
  • Loner Personality: ISFJ (The Nurturer)
  • My loner philosophy : Live life let live.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »
Used to travel a lot by train when in college because it's cheap and they have some sort of discounts for students. Though the journey is long but it's quite amazing really. Jumped off a slow moving train once or twice and it's not really a good idea if you are carrying a huge bag lol. Might slip and fall. I like to hang around between the area between the coaches, they have a special seat there to sit. Open the door and enjoy the view and crazy wind. The conductor might not be so happy to see that though and they always get angry if little kids hang around that area.  :lipsrsealed:

Hylton

• Adult Filter OFF
  • LC Regular
  • 781 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Hylton
  • A/S/L : english
  • Loner Personality: None of the above.
  • My loner philosophy : Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »
used to sneak onto trains. well, I say sneak, just they used to leave the big gates to the train station open after hours, or on Sundays. None of them big old freight trains slow down here

emussel

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
It used to be a lifestyle for some people, probably still is. Tramps. ;)

According to my friend from NY it still is a lifestyle for alot of people. It really isn't tramps or hoboes anymore though it's kids...train kids in their teens and early 20's. He got caught by the state troopers once with a bunch of train kids because they were hanging off the car in plain view of the road and the cops just made sure they weren't wanted and let them go. He says the railyard workers are mostly friendly to train hoppers too. He was about to take off on one once when a yard worker yelled at him asking where he was going and told him he was heading the wrong direction. The worker ended up driving him to Austin TX an hours drive, stopping at his house to show him his moonshine still. He's had some crazy adventures...a real free spirit if it wasn't for his heroin addiction he's trying to kick.

Firo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »
Sounds like something that would be fun doing if I had trains in my area. I don't know if I'd be able to do it by myself, maybe if I had a friend to pressure me.