Author Topic: 2014 Bike tour  (Read 175 times)

EnglishChap

2014 Bike tour
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
I remember you mentioned once you wanted to ride your bike across the US? Is this what you're talking about here?

I'm planning on a cross-country US bike tour in 2014!! :D :D

Sadly not, just a holiday this time. Perhaps for a couple of weeks.

I'd need to do a lot more training and research/prep before attempting the transamerica crossing.

Have you got far with your planning? Routes etc.

prometheus

• LC Addict
  • 115867 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To prometheus
  • The World is Beautiful.
  • A/S/L : 30/M/USA
  • I am : Loner by nature
  • Loner Personality: INFP (The Idealist)
  • Status Update: I'm thinking
Re: 2014 Bike tour
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:41 PM »
Sadly not, just a holiday this time. Perhaps for a couple of weeks.

I'd need to do a lot more training and research/prep before attempting the transamerica crossing.

Have you got far with your planning? Routes etc.

Yeah, I've started planning it already. Just a little bit, though, since it's still quite a ways out. I would do it in 2013 except one of my cousins wants to do it also and probably won't be able to until 2014 so I'll just wait and do it with her.

This is the approximate route. I'm planning on 90 days, but it won't take that many days of actual riding. Probably more like 60-70 days, but 90 allows for more detours and exploring.

I'm especially excited about the Western half from Colorado to Oregon. The central Great Plains aren't all that exciting, but Western half should be a great finale. The Eastern half should be really pretty also.

I'm just planning on using my current bike which is already a touring bike, a Surly Long Haul Trucker. I have panniers and other stuff for it that aren't in this picture, but here it is:
Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. Where is there a place for you to be? No place... Nothing outside you can give you any place... In yourself right now is all the place you've got.

Sil Ver Quin

• LC Regular
  • 30000 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sil Ver Quin
  • Boom!
  • Loner Personality: ISFP (The Artist)
  • My loner philosophy : if it makes me happy then why not ?
  • Status Update: This is the best forum in the internet... :)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:31:02 AM »
Too bad i dont live in there cos i would join you if you let me /lol  Used to like watching VOA program on tv, America's beautiful country.. many unique places in US and not all region has the same characteristic and climate, each region's very unique and interesting to explore. If the road here is always smooth, weather is not too hot, and every part of the country is not always the same i would bike across country either.
I <3 Loners-Club.com

prometheus

• LC Addict
  • 115867 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:16:25 AM »
Too bad i dont live in there cos i would join you if you let me /lol  Used to like watching VOA program on tv, America's beautiful country.. many unique places in US and not all region has the same characteristic and climate, each region's very unique and interesting to explore. If the road here is always smooth, weather is not too hot, and every part of the country is not always the same i would bike across country either.
Hey, it's still far in the future! Maybe you can? :grin: I'd let you join of course, but it's a big commitment. :wink: I'll be posting lots of pictures when the time comes, though, so people here can do it with me through photos. :)

Indonesia would be a really cool country to travel around and see. There's so much life there, and such a variety of life, too. The closest thing here would probably be the Southeast US where it's supergreen, but it's more swampy and there aren't any monkeys. :( lol Hawai'i is probably like parts of Indonesia on a much smaller scale.

But yeah, the US is definitely vary varied.
Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. Where is there a place for you to be? No place... Nothing outside you can give you any place... In yourself right now is all the place you've got.

EnglishChap

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
Hey,

Sorry, I'm a little sporadic when it comes to posting on here. I don't mean to be but I tend to browse the site on my BB but often don't post until I get to the laptop - and then I have to have remembered! *old age*

That's the established transamerica cycle route isn't it? I am far from being in a position to make the journey but I think I would follow the transamerica trail; there are lots of resources and established bike friendly places along that trail, so it seems like a good option. Ideally I would add in a detour to see a couple of people I know in Illinois and would like to add in a NYC visit; although this is most suited to a West-to-East ride, I guess.

I like your bike, very nice. I haven't got a touring bike, just an MTB; I live in an area where there are great off-road trails and woodlands etc so have stayed with the MTB. Obviously I'll need to get a touring bike before I make the big journey, but I can still put decent training in on this. (I'll try and take a photo of it later)

I have done a couple of short tours in the UK but they have been no more than ten days long - I hired a touring bike for a couple of these. I think as a precursor to making it across the pond I ought to have a go at journeying from Lands End to John O'Groats (or vice versa)...not only would it be a hint of what would be to come on the longer trail but I'm lucky to live in a great country so I ought to explore it some more.

Anyway, I've started to ramble. You have probably heard of it before but http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ has some good journals of people on bike tours.

prometheus

• LC Addict
  • 115867 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
Yup, crazyguyonabike is a good site. Lot's of interesting journals there.

10 days at a time is pretty decent. Most I've ever done was 7. But I'd like to do more this coming year. I suppose I can make that a resolution. :)

EnglishChap

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
Will you camp all the way or will you take some motel stops? I think I'll probably camp for 90%+ but on some scheduled rest days I'll take a motel/similar.